• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

ACW Supply
10-23-2021, 11:37 PM, (This post was last modified: 10-23-2021, 11:39 PM by 2-81 Armor.)
RE: ACW Supply
(10-23-2021, 06:19 PM)_72z Wrote: I don't know, straggler recovery falls into a more tactical category than operational, so it isn't as clear cut in my mind. It also isn't in the engine, so I mean there's that.

I haven't actually tested out the new engine changes in the Napoleonic series, although I am interested in the application of night fatigue.

To me a multi-day scenario can different thing from a multi-day battle; it all depends upon if the forces involved can be set up so that they only can basically sustain a day's combat, regardless of how much time is allotted to scenario length. I mean the idea being allowing a force to march to and find, then set up a place to make a stand -and have multiple places where that might be (with a different set of advantages/disadvantages). It's not automatically an operational situation, but rather what tactical advantages do you see in the landscape (and the guesstimate if you might have enough time to set up before your opposite number can locate you).

It was sort of central to the idea that I was wanting to work with, as opposed to a chessboard of set piece battles, which in my mind are boring by their lack of dynamism.

Operational Big Grin --- someone send me a roadnet around Narragansett Bay dating from about 1776-78; I'd settle for just the major roads... I got Aquidneck Island covered, but it occurred to me that there had to be some sort of a roadnet that went from at least Warwick RI, through Providence, over to Slade's Ferry and then on to Hovland Ferry ... as that was the route of march for a couple of campaigns that the Patriots took. But I only have snippets- but the road network on Aquidneck Island is pretty well covered... silly Rhode Islanders probably preferred to most of their bay based transport via ship... so all of the maps focus on that.  (Disclaimer ... I seem to be related to half of those 'silly Rhode Islanders' at the time -so that was by no means supposed to be serious... it is what it is sometimes.).

I don't know - if it were me, I wouldn't abandon it - personally I think you might be nailing it; consider it a stretch goal maybe?  Being totally fair, not many go where you've been to 2-81.  I'm impressed just by reading you write in that way.
An attempt at playing the Atlanta monster has been made and my opponent and I both encountered a situation where it looks like we're having some "turn jump" where what should be turn 2 somehow became turn 3. No reason why this should happen, and I have never seen that before.

Also, on my end I'm having a lot of lagging and delay when the map is scrolling. Sometimes it jerks instead of scrolling.

I'm attempting to run this on a desktop with an I7 processor running at 3.6 ghz and 16 GB of ram. The graphics card is an Nvidia 1070. While not a super computer, it certainly has more than enough power to run the scenario I think.

I'm no programmer of course, but to me the problems indicate that the game engine is being stressed to it's limit, and errors are popping up. The scrolling issue most likely is again the engine straining to process things and slowing down.

Whether or not the scenario is too big, in the future I do think I'm going to have to limit my ambitions and keep the length down to maximum 2-3 days (20 min turns) and somehow determine what the biggest map size is that the engine can handle without getting laggy.

Anyway, a lot has been revealed and learned. I really do appreciate everyone's input and help.
Now though it's time to put this Frankenstein out of it's misery and move on.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
ACW Supply - by 2-81 Armor - 10-21-2021, 12:07 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by -72- - 10-21-2021, 08:38 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by Gary McClellan - 10-21-2021, 09:25 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by 2-81 Armor - 10-21-2021, 11:57 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by LarkinVB - 10-21-2021, 08:14 PM
RE: ACW Supply - by 2-81 Armor - 10-21-2021, 09:44 PM
RE: ACW Supply - by LarkinVB - 10-22-2021, 03:06 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by 2-81 Armor - 10-22-2021, 03:36 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by LarkinVB - 10-22-2021, 06:41 AM
RE: ACW Supply - by Gary McClellan - 10-22-2021, 12:37 PM