• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infantry Defense Against Tank Assaults In Red Victory?
06-04-2021, 05:21 AM,
RE: Infantry Defense Against Tank Assaults In Red Victory?
@Xerxes77 Thanks much for your quick and informative reply!  After reading it and rereading the manual I now understand what's going on with my PF 30's and am perfectly fine with that.  That said your explanation for what's happening during the killer tank assaults, while completely believable, was also a big disappointment for me - that's one heck of a bug and IMO pushes RV dangerously close to crossing the line dividing "light simulation" from "faux reality game."

Don't get me wrong I'm not expecting even elite squads of grunts to routinely destroy or immobilize AFV's at close quarters, but they should have some chance of doing so especially if they're armed with dedicated AT weaponry - having the only risk to the AFV's come from the terrain itself strikes me as being as lazy as it is inaccurate.  Far worse though IMO is how lethal these AFV's can be, even when unsupported by friendly infantry in covered terrain.  In reality even a squad armed solely with small arms could force an AFV to button up thus allowing the grunts to then just hide in the trees or buildings, but the assault results I'm routinely seeing don't reflect that at all - even experienced, well trained squads seem to be lining up in front of the assaulting tanks so they can be quickly gunned down by their bow machineguns and run over by their tracks, in a manner that comes across very much as "Ha ha, look at my mighty Panzertanks, crushing your puny men and the buildings they're hiding in!"

I see you're an active SB modder, so do you know if there's any mod or way to fix this?  I gather (from an older 2016 post on this subject) that part of this problem stems from how the Vehicle Assault Value is calculated - in addition to giving the assaulting AFV credit for its weapons it also gets heavily credited for its armor, so much so that according to that one older post a Tiger 1 is the equivalent of 66 infantrymen in the assault!  Again I'm not saying the Tiger wouldn't be a very tough nut to crack, but equating two machineguns firing from inside a single, easily pinpointed, slowly moving armored box to two full platoons of assaulting infantry strikes me as a real stretch, especially if the defenders have any sort of covered terrain to work with.  If that's really the case, it might be time for me to dust off Combat Mission and see if that's still playable instead.

In any event, thanks again for your reply and cheers!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Infantry Defense Against Tank Assaults In Red Victory? - by gamerguy - 06-04-2021, 05:21 AM