• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

TRUDGE FOR TURDA - DETAILED RULES AND GAME MECHANICS
02-20-2021, 07:17 AM,
RE: TRUDGE FOR TURDA - DETAILED RULES AND GAME MECHANICS
(02-20-2021, 01:26 AM)SaSTrooP Wrote: Restricting Z-fire is problematic. I've found it difficult sometimes to know what is and is not allowed. I'd like a better definition of what constitutes a HMG. The weapons stats for some units aren't really clear about the class of machinegun that the unit carries. Please be specific about what is a "HMG".

By HMGs I mean dedicated, long range, heavy, tripod mounted static machine weapon :P
It is often (but given how chaotic SPWW2 coding is - I would not be 100% on that) qualified as a "Machinegun" class, just as visible on Muszynianka's screen.
Examples are Maxims, Schwarzlose's, ZB-53's and so on. It will in 99% of cases be a machine gun in 1st slot (and usually the second, too) that can fire up to 1200 or 1500, DsHK goes to 2000 metres.
I would rather NOT consider the z-fire ability for LMG Gruppes armed with a single LMG with range of 600 metres, that are commonly present in "Florian Geyer" Division. This is just 3-man skirmishing team providing fire support to main cavalry squad, they carry no tripod as well. Same applies to Soviet DP squads that are armed with 3 LMGs. Romanians and Hungarians probably do not have equivalents of those units.

I have however added an omission - fortifications are added there, as they are mostly also armed with MMGs/HMGs, but let earthen bunkers fire with all they got - it is a bunker after all, not limited personal soldiers supply of rounds.

It is up to you if you want to include armoured vehicles into this rule, this could also make sense.

Keeping in mind Muszynianka's comments, I agree that most of the time it's easy to identify HMGs. But I'm glad you mentioned armored vehicles. As I recall, although I can't point to the example right now, I ran into a tank with a 50 cal MG a while back that wasn't identified as a HMG. But I consider that a HMG. So as you say, it's not 100%. And now you've opened it up to allow fortification MMG to Z-fire. And if fortifications MMGs are allowed, why not tank MMGs? It's a slippery slope.

As to LMG Gruppes, I agree they're almost certainly not HMGs. But my personal opinion is that any belt-fed MG could be used for  suppressive fire. However, I don't want to get into this argument about how many bullets some unit may carry. So... you the boss; you make the rules. I'll play by them. Perhaps the simplest rule is: if it doesn't explicitly say HMG, it's not and it can't Z-fire. You decide.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: TRUDGE FOR TURDA - DETAILED RULES AND GAME MECHANICS - by lfsaunders - 02-20-2021, 07:17 AM