• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Status of fire effect calculation changes?
01-18-2021, 05:04 PM,
RE: Status of fire effect calculation changes?
What you describe is indeed what I'm referring to.

I've raised the issue a number of times over the last couple of years, and others have posted about situations where they noticed the effect though were not always aware it was caused by the way the modifiers are applied. It took me a while to figure out this effect existed as well.

The first time I really noticed the effect was with Panzer Battles: Battles of Normandy. The quality fire modifier is 2.5, so A quality units get a +50% fire effect. That allows the A quality German units to essentially ignore hedgerows. An 11 soft attack value unit will still fire at 11 value when firing through a hedgerow. This is one of the reasons the Commonwealth forces in particular tend to get murdered, as they have mediocre SA values and are mostly C quality.

The next time I noticed it was in Kharkov '43, where entrenched units in City or Industrial hexes are immune to D quality fire.

Due to the below average unit quality in Scheldt '44, it stands out more in that title, but it's not a new issue.

It's also not that difficult to lessen the effect without having to raise unit quality. Reducing terrain and fortification fire effect reductions helps as well. It's the cumulative nature of the fire effect reductions that caused the issue, not one single reduction (or increase, in the case of the quality fire modifier) from either quality, terrain, or fortifications.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Status of fire effect calculation changes? - by ComradeP - 01-18-2021, 05:04 PM