• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Editing AI performance
11-18-2020, 08:09 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-18-2020, 05:41 PM by neonlicht.)
Editing AI performance
I buy military wargames with scenario editors in order to learn something about the period while having fun experimenting with custom scenarios.

I'm not an expert in the SYW but, as I understand it, armies of the period marched to the battlefield in Column but then formed into Line within cannon-shot of each other, and remained in Line as long as they remained in contact (advancing, manoeuvring, firing & charging in Line).  

The Seven Years War game is advertised at JTS as being playable against the AI, and as simulating the linear tactics of the period, and that's why I bought it.

I created a scenario in the Editor, placed both armies in Line formation about 1 mile apart, and gave them attack orders via the AI Scripts utility. Then I tested the scenario by placing both sides on "Automatic", thereby making the AI play against itself. I was surprised to see both armies (Prussian & Russian) immediately change from Line to Column formation, then advance in Column, and then engage each other in Column. In other words--no linear tactics.

I checked the Editor's manual and noticed that it's possible to modify AI behaviour via "flags" that you add to the scenario's Header Dialog. But--while there is an option to force the AI to manoeuvre in Column (?!?)--there is no option to force the AI to manoeuvre in Line. Unless I'm missing something? Maybe I'm setting up the scenario wrong or making some basic error?

Update: I had the idea that maybe units could be forced to stay in line by increasing the cost of changing formation in the PDT file. But looking at the "Notes" document, which describes & explains the coding of the PDT files for this game, there seems to be no relevant coding line for change-formation cost. And, unfortunately, the game has no dedicated PDT editor.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Editing AI performance - by neonlicht - 11-18-2020, 08:09 AM
RE: Editing AI performance - by TheGrayMouser - 11-20-2020, 06:14 AM
RE: Editing AI performance - by -72- - 11-20-2020, 07:42 PM
RE: Editing AI performance - by neonlicht - 11-21-2020, 12:45 AM
RE: Editing AI performance - by -72- - 11-22-2020, 12:59 PM
RE: Editing AI performance - by neonlicht - 11-23-2020, 01:45 AM
RE: Editing AI performance - by -72- - 11-23-2020, 07:50 AM
RE: Editing AI performance - by neonlicht - 11-23-2020, 11:55 PM
RE: Editing AI performance - by neonlicht - 11-21-2020, 12:38 AM