• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

New Opt Rule: Movement Threat
11-01-2020, 01:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 11-01-2020, 01:56 AM by TheGrayMouser.)
New Opt Rule: Movement Threat
So, this will be a little bit of a rant, but lately we have had some new rules and game engines changes come, seemingly out of nowhere and I question how much thought/playtesting went into the actual effects in practice ( in theory they sound good...)

I'll limit this to the Topic ( threat movement option) and its equally valid for the  Nap games as well as 7 years War Title.

Infantry not wanting to "close" in this era seems reasonable but just what is this supposed to represent?  Each hex is 100 yards, so even units adjacent are possibly 100 yards apart firing at each other.  All the training and discipline was put into them executing just that! ( getting into effective range to shoot!!)   Suddenly we have units  that cant move to effective fire range without possibly disordering  ( BTW units in line already can disorder from movement anyhow so they are getting double wacked!!)

I mean, closing to bayonet/melee range is really what was hard to force units to do in the era...so...
Doesnt it make sense that units should test upon attempting to melee, and not simply getting within musket rage?

I can live with this to some degree if only infantry vs infantry were considered but what about cavalry vs cavalry?

Prior to this post I just launched Murats Gamble in Echmeil and began maneuvering a full Division of stacks squadrons of A+ French Heavies vs Austrian stacks of Dragoons and guess what, 3/4 of then became disordered or ROUTED just to come adjacent to the Dragoons!!!  ( yes, the game appears to test EVERY hex you enter...)  
Considering the majority of cavalry in the Nap games are B and HIGHER it is shocking too me that playtesters didnt notice that closing with cavalry is all but impossible even with high quality cavalry... Now consider The 7 Years war where c and D quality cavalry are quite common....  

Cavalry when going into "charging" mode also have to test to not disorder as the game considers a charge a formation change... So Another obstacle to closing with out becoming a disordered and or routed rabble.

Fortunately this new rule is optional but it really need to be looked at and adjusted for it to be viable.

I personally feel the simplest solution is to simply have attacking units test when they attempt to melee ( the threat test to change formation would of course remain in place).....
If we really want to get a feel for Nap warfare and have some sort of movement threat, perhaps only a stack of any type of unit entering a frontal ZOC of an enemy infantry IN LINE formation causes a test ( and then melee a second test?!) .
Or increase the threat range for infantry for formation changes...

I dunno, just some thoughts but it seems this new rule was an attempt to make fire combat more decisive over melee but if infantry units have a hard time even get in to shooting range and cavalry cant move at all if enemy cavalry are within 6 hexes then the rule does not accomplish this, just makes maneuvering armies a disorganized-routed mess before even a shot fired...  I havent even tested to see what happens to the AI when it must go on the attack!!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by TheGrayMouser - 11-01-2020, 01:53 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by LarkinVB - 11-01-2020, 07:54 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by phoenix - 12-12-2020, 07:42 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by neonlicht - 12-12-2020, 11:04 PM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by LFDLM - 12-13-2020, 02:34 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by LFDLM - 12-13-2020, 04:38 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by LFDLM - 12-13-2020, 07:34 PM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by LFDLM - 12-14-2020, 03:34 AM
RE: New Opt Rule: Movement Threat - by agmoss99 - 12-14-2020, 10:11 PM