• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings
08-03-2020, 02:28 AM,
FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings
Okay, so very new to FWWC.  Have played 1 complete PBEM scenario (crossing at Dinant) as the Belgians and lost but fared well mechanics wise on the defensive.  In my 2nd PBEM now with another very small effort (Exposing the Enemies Hand) and again playing as the Allies (French) because I wanted to experience a small taste of offensive mechanics.  I confess that I have found it to be very tough going, and I was wondering if this gives an adequate taste of what a larger battle would play out like.  More specific I find the mechanics of offensive combat in FWWC to be extremely frustrating (have not tried with the Germans yet).  I read the Designers Notes twice, so I had the sense that French Rifle Fire would be "less than" but that their assault values would be "more than" and I've looked at the numbers and understand the ratios and scales.  All that said, my immediate impression is "Same Old French".  If anything they're worse in 1914 than 1940.  Their small MG sections get blasted by the larger more lethal Germans MGs with regularity, their infantry battalions, should they miraculously get into a position to conduct an assault (they usually disrupt whenever a German spits at them) they routinely fail said assaults against even completely disrupted positions even if fresh.  I confess that the scenario size (5 turns) has inspired in me a certain lack of discipline (who needs reserves in a 5 turn game) but I mean in a larger battle, practicing a standard battalion rotation of 1 up, 2 back, and rotating through, all I see that would result is French move, french draw fire, french disrupt.  If they're disrupted and stay up front to wear the enemy by fire, the exchanges are horrible....shoot, kill X, take defensive fire, take XX, and so on.  Who has the map key for playing the French and not wanting to succumb depression.  Is it as simple as...well in the larger scenarios you do have to be patient, and play the long game (which if that's the answer from a design level I get that, but it does mean in smaller scenarios the French are pretty much always the punching bag). 

All you veterans of FWWC, gimme the gouge.  Are we doomed to Napoleonic Wars if we want to see France triumphant on a battlefield?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings - by Steel God - 08-03-2020, 02:28 AM