• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A strange oddity
01-26-2020, 09:47 AM,
RE: A strange oddity
(01-26-2020, 03:03 AM)Tankertony Wrote: As most of you know, I've played this game for over 20 years now. To say the least, it's my passion. As an old Squad Leader guy, The Greatest Game Ever Created by Mankind. And the beauty of it is? I'm still learning new things about it!

I'm curious if anyone can help explain this latest 'strange oddity'. So during the opponents turn (this is PBEM), as you watch his forces slaughter of your forces, you go to the A/I tab, then to Set Advantage, and the slide bar is set to about +20% to his advantage. Then, during your turn, that same slide bar is set to +0% advantage. 

Now here's the kicker: if you start the same scenario fresh, PBEM, East Front in this case, there is no such advantage, for either side. Befuddling eh?

Despite my extreme passion for the game, creating scenarios, etc. I honestly know nothing about the file system, how it works, modifiers, etc. (and I'm a IT guy in real life). As far as I know, the scenario designer cannot set a permanent advantage for one side during the design phase. 

I can only assume:
1. a glitch in the game or scenario file
2. a corrupted file 
3. lightning strike
4. the cat stepped on the keyboard during scenario setup
5. ….we really don't want to go there...but it happens

I call upon the best brains, several of which I've already contacted, to help me get to the bottom of this 'strange oddity'. File (now kept in a secure vault) available upon request. 

Respectfully,
Tankertony>>>

I was under the impression whoever starts the scenario can set the advantage and it can't be changed once the game starts. The advantage is set to 0 as a default in every scenario. However, I just tested it, and I can see the advantage as player 1 and as player 2, so no way for one player to see it without the other player seeing the same thing. It didn't change in my test. I hope that isn't something that could be finagled in the code, or is that #5? Maybe Jason knows.

I'm going to play it safe and go with #4, since I've never known anyone who's ever even used that option.

Dave
Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blasts on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us. --Walt Kelly
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A strange oddity - by Tankertony - 01-26-2020, 03:03 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Big Ivan - 01-26-2020, 04:38 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Scud - 01-26-2020, 09:47 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Tankertony - 01-27-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Dan Caviness - 01-29-2020, 02:02 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Herr Straße Laufer - 01-29-2020, 06:26 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Big Ivan - 01-29-2020, 10:53 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Dan Caviness - 01-30-2020, 02:08 AM
RE: A strange oddity - by Herr Straße Laufer - 01-31-2020, 12:22 AM