• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game?
01-08-2020, 03:07 PM,
RE: Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game?
(01-07-2020, 06:43 AM)Mr Grumpy Wrote: I have never played the MC titles so I cannot comment on any of your discussion above, however many players consider that any tactic that the games engine allows you to perform is legal and hence cannot be considered cheating and I would urge caution in using that term in this situation, gamey yes but cheating no.

Many players lay the fault at the feet of the game engine and game designers as they have not taken steps to prevent such tactics being used once they have become common knowledge, others state that players should restrain themselves from using such obviously unhistorical tactics and not exploit flaws in the games design.

Some play these titles just a pure game where "anything goes" and there is no such thing as gamey play and others play these games as historical simulations where they expect their opponent to play as such.

So as there never has and there will never be consensus across the whole community on these subjects (and boy we have had some mega threads on what is/is not considered gamey for example) if you don't like how your opponent plays then best end the game amicably and don't play them again.  Wink

If historical play is very important to you or a certain tactic makes your blood boil then it is best to discuss this before you start a scenario with a new opponent.  Big Grin

Some very advice here! I won't start a game with anyone until we've talked things through and understand what each of us want to get out of the play experience. For instance, when playing Napoleonic or ACW titles I make sure that my opponent knows that I will be using, and expect to be playing against someone using 19th Century tactics and maneuvers as opposed to bending the game system using 20th or 21st Century ones.

Pre game communication is important, along with knowing whether or not you're playing to win at all costs, in a super competitive way, or just looking for a more social, historical experience. Both approaches are valid, but it's best to know if your play styles and intentions are compatible before starting the first turn I think.
"If you want to know a man's true character, give him some power." - Abraham Lincoln (attributed)
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game? - by 2-81 Armor - 01-08-2020, 03:07 PM