• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game?
01-05-2020, 03:06 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-05-2020, 03:19 AM by Mowgli.)
Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game?
Please excuse me if this topic has been discussed before. 

What's the community's overall opinion on drawing the opponent's opportunity fire actions with "cheap" units (recon, choppers) before closing in to deal a decisive blow with the main combat units? Is this disreputable or part of the game and common practice? 

I spare you the details and you probably know already, but to me it seems as if this can make or break a Warsaw Pact assault tactic (Modern Campaigns). It totally changes your options. For a surprise assault, you need to move over open terrain. Open terrain is not crossable (without unacceptably high risk of disruption) unless the enemy has no more opportunity fires left (and even then there is still artillery...).

I've not dared to use it yet (and have not really been in a good situation for it), but my personal opinion is that it should be seen as part of the game. It makes recon units very usefull and even though the way it is done in the game looks strange/gamey, the effect is not that implausible. The recon units are reconoitering the enemy's defences, searching for gaps and weakpoints and good avenues of approach, disrupting the enemy's patrols, thereby reducing the power of the defenders to see the advance coming and to cause casualties on the approaching attackers. If you don't want that to happen, use your own recon troops to screen your defence or place more troops in a single hex. Also, the tactic doesn't work that well in difficult terrain, as a recon unit (except for helicopters) will quickly run out of movement points and thus can't move back and forth to draw fires. So, in it's abstract way, the game engine produces interesting results. :) Reconaissance in woods is less effective.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Drawing opportunity fire actions - disreputable or part of the game? - by Mowgli - 01-05-2020, 03:06 AM