• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Refueling Rules
11-06-2019, 07:53 AM,
RE: Refueling Rules
In an attempt to add more 'clarity', here are my revised versions of the four examples given in the manual. I have used the term 'Global Supply Value' instead of 'Base Supply Value' as I found this confusing. Apparently they mean the same thing but 'Base Supply Value' is not used anywhere other than in these examples and the summary that follows them. For simplicity sake, rather than completely re-word the examples I have left them as unchanged as possible.

Supply Examples

Example 1: Command Test.

Suppose we have a Corps HQ with a command range of 12, a Divisional HQ, and that the Global Supply Value is 70%.

2 hex range calculation: If the Div HQ is 2 hexes from the Corps HQ, then the probability that the Div HQ will be in command is:

0.70 + 0.30 * (12/14 * 0.70) = 88%

12 hex range calculation: If the Div HQ is 12 hexes from the Corps HQ, then the probability that the Div HQ will be in command is:

0.70 + 0.30 * (12/24 * 0.70) = 80%

Conclusion: In this case, an increase in the distance of the Div HQ from the Corps HQ by 10 hexes resulted in a decrease of its command probability from 88% to 80%

Example 2. Refueling Test (and Command Test) - High Global Supply

Suppose that we have a Div HQ with a command range of 6 and a unit from this division that is Low On Fuel. Suppose that the Global Supply Value is 80% and that the Refuel Percentage is 30%. Suppose that this HQ has no superior HQ and consequently the Command Test is solely against the Global Supply Value (In other words, there is no possibility of a Range Command Test).

7 or greater hex range calculation: If the unit is 7 hexes or more from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is 0 since the unit is out of the command range of its HQ.

6 or less hex range calculation: If the unit is within 6 hexes from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.80 = 24%

Conclusion: You should move Low On Fuel units within the command range of their HQ for them to become refueled.

Example 3: Refueling Test (and Command Test) - Low Global Supply

Suppose that the situation is as before, but now that the Global Supply Value is 25%.

If the unit is 6 hexes or less from its HQ, then the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.25 = 7.5%

Conclusion: Lower Global Supply Values mean less chance of a HQ being in Command and hence of subordinate units refueling, in this case a reduction from 24% to 7.5% per turn.

Example 4: Refueling Test (and Command Range Test)

Suppose that you take the situation from Example 1, of a Div HQ attached to a Corps HQ with command range of 12, and a Global Supply Value of 70%. Suppose there is a unit from the division that is Low On Fuel and is with the Command Range of the Div HQ.

12 hex range calculation: The Div HQ is 12 hexes from its Corps HQ, and so has an 80% chance of being in Command (see Example 1). Therefore the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.80 = 24%

2 hex range calculation: The Div HQ is 2 hexes from its Corps HQ, and so has an 88% probability of being in Command (see Example 1). Therefore the per-turn refuel probability is:

0.30 * 0.88 = 26.4%

Conclusion: Reducing ranges from HQ's to their higher HQ's improves the probability of being in Command and hence that of subordinate units refueling, in this case from 24% to 26.4%

Finally it all makes sense to me. Perhaps I am a bit slow but I still think that the wording of the manual is far from ideal.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Refueling Rules - by Green - 11-05-2019, 05:54 AM
RE: Refueling Rules - by todk - 11-05-2019, 08:35 AM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Ricky B - 11-05-2019, 01:59 PM
RE: Refueling Rules - by pax_xap - 12-19-2019, 10:14 PM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Green - 12-20-2019, 04:24 AM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Green - 11-05-2019, 05:41 PM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Fhil - 11-05-2019, 07:44 PM
RE: Refueling Rules - by ComradeP - 11-06-2019, 04:54 AM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Ricky B - 11-06-2019, 09:57 AM
RE: Refueling Rules - by Green - 11-06-2019, 07:53 AM