• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT)
09-23-2019, 12:49 PM,
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT)
(09-23-2019, 12:20 PM)hub6actual Wrote: It might be as a reflection of how the cardboard unit chits of the paper map gaming era were coloured? I had a whole closet full of these old games, long since lost to the depths of time. My memory is pretty poor, but I seem to recall that the colours used in the Tiller games are generally similar to what was used on the old cardboard counters. Generally, Wehrmacht some sort of grey or blue-grey, Soviets shades of red, US shades of green, etc.

Can’t recall some country colours at all, like Italy and Japan. I had the SPI mega-game Campaign for North Africa (don’t ask me why - hunter/gatherer syndrome?), so you would think I’d be able to recall the Italians at least.

It can't really be that, though, as GDW was using Feldgrau back in the early 70's for Drang nach Osten/Unentshieden...   Plus I think 'The Russian Campaign' also used something similar to GDW.

An quick check of some assorted boardgame titles on Board Game Geek - which usually comes with countersheet scans is really all that is required.

Personally I have gone with a combination of GDW's colour schemes, along with GMT's at times.  Mind you it is not limited to just Panzer Campaigns --- I am pretty sure that the ARVN in Squad Battles is a nice shade of aqua-marine...  

Actually I just wish they'd have added bank/shore hexsides that generate when a land hex borders a full water hex ---  not too keen on the hard hex shape where full water hexes meet land hexes.  The grant tactical series' are not like that -and it allows for a bit more flexibility in map graphics.
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT) - by -72- - 09-23-2019, 12:49 PM
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT) - by wildb - 09-24-2019, 02:07 AM
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT) - by MikeC - 09-24-2019, 10:37 AM
RE: Just Out Of Curiosity (Sort of OT) - by -72- - 09-25-2019, 10:20 AM