• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Strategy Gaming Think-Tank
09-16-2018, 01:25 PM,
Strategy Gaming Think-Tank
Hello all,

While I was never the most prolific modder around, I always seemed to want more detail and depth from the wargames I played. I dabbled here and there with scenarios, trying to learn and contribute to established games.

I recently decided instead to place that energy into the production of a new game. My post here is with the hope of drawing on the vast wisdom of the community in talking about effective approaches to a game, and the mechanics that lay within.

Project Titanic was thus born. No, it's not the actual game name. It does represent the development stage for a 2D hex, turn-based historical WW2 strategy and operational wargame. Whew, that is a mouthful. It is currently in the early stages of development with an in-house staff of two, along with 3 outsourced artists working on various tasks, and talks to bring onboard two programmers is progressing.

So, for you, the community, what I initially want to inquire about are your insights on battle mechanics, and more specifically how to approach an effective system for Air, naval and ground combat all wrapped up in one game.

We're developing around a WEGO system. Ground hexes will be to 5km scale(think regiment size units), and sea hexes, once finalized, will be between 10-20 nautical miles each.

For those scratching their head right now, let me try and be a little more clear. When you're playing game, say the old Talonsofts Battle of Britain, what mechanics there worked for you, or didn't, or could be improved upon. What else would you have wanted to see in the game to make the experience better, were the battle results accurate, realistic? Or if you prefer naval combat, and given the 2D system, what are some key things to be aware of that would make the battle simulations more realistic and engaging for the player in fleet on fleet actions.

If combat isn't your thing, then mechanics pertaining to Industry, production and economy are also worth discussing. Or you can simply discuss your preferred art style for the game map, or what information should be visible on the unit counters.

Anyway, big or small, I'm interested in hearing your views on game mechanics in general, based on the games you've played, what you like, what you don't like, what's generally missing etc.. Feel free to post here to start discussions, or I've created a discord channel for the project, you can simply PM me for the link.

I appreciate your time and thanks for reading
Atheory
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Strategy Gaming Think-Tank - by Ocito80 - 09-16-2018, 01:25 PM
RE: Strategy Gaming Think-Tank - by geoff - 09-16-2018, 10:43 PM
RE: Strategy Gaming Think-Tank - by Ocito80 - 09-18-2018, 07:35 AM
RE: Strategy Gaming Think-Tank - by geoff - 09-19-2018, 03:04 AM