• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
07-15-2018, 10:56 AM,
Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign
I have embarked on a project to create a multi-day Normandy invasion scenario. This scenario will not be for the feint of heart, with the number of units and replacement management implemented (see below). Presently, I am working on the OOB which has taken more time than I thought due to my own preferences. Scenario design concepts are expressed below:

The actual time frame of the scenario is still in flux. Originally, the idea was to run 20 days or until roughly the fall of cherbourg. I've also considered shorter periods of 7 or 14 days. I will probably start smaller, and expand farther out if play-testing goes well.

Platoons run the show: All units will be broken down to platoon level for infantry and the equivalent for tanks and guns. A house rule is implemented that no 2 platoon elements can combine that would create a single unit strength larger than the established platoon size. A separate pdt file is also generated that will further reduce hex stacking limits to between 100-110.

Replacements: Handling this on a multi-day scenario requires an out of the box approach, especially when no feature exists to enable replacements like in PzC. So, the following ideas came to light
1) As much as possible, units are organized in the oob structure to allow for the combining of units to consolidate strength when needed. Most of the effort here went towards MG units.

2) Replacement platoons: Each American infantry company will receive 2 additional platoons over time as replacements. These will arrive at the beach depot locations designated for each division. An additional house rule is implemented that these units cannot leave the beach area until at least two other platoons in the company have combined together(following the house rule laid out in "platoons run the show" section). The goal of this house rule is to maintain that each allied infantry company never have more than 3 individual combat units at the front lines. And best represents the replacement practices of the allied side. British and Canadian forces will only receive 1 infantry platoon representing their more limited manpower and possibly showing the more conservative approach of their tactics.

It is possible that beach depots could become crowded with replacement units. This is fine, as there were collection points and these units can defend the beach depots if by chance the Germans break through.

A similar approach will be taken to gun and tank companies. This will add a bit of unit management to the scenario. Some players may not enjoy this aspect. 

3) The Germans will receive very few such platoon replacements like the allies get. Instead relying on their feldersatz units and new units arriving to the area to bolster their front lines. Some Divisions on the contentin will receive some replacement platoons which bolster the companies from ad-hoc units formed in Cherbourg. Unlike the allies however, Germans can utilize their replacement platoons as separate combat units, this being more representative of German practices.

4) It is my hope that eventually, at some point, PzB-Normandy will be updated to include the new ticking VP location feature being implemented in PzB-3.

5) A separate game install will probably be needed for this scenario since the database is as rigid as it is, but I might take the time to redo all the units with new unit names to avoid this, but we'll see.

Personal preferences added to the scenario:
1) Captured equipment used by Germany will have its German designation.
2) Infantry fire range is reduced to 2 for allies, and 3 for Germans. 
3) MG fire range is reduced to 3 (might increase back to 4)
4) Fixed equipment belonging to WN has been reworked a little.
5) Adding names at battalion level where possible. Generic HQ pictures will still be used.

I got some work ahead of me, but I post this to open things up for suggestions, new ideas or concerns. I always believed more heads are better than one and perhaps there is an aspect I've not thought through, or thought of yet.

Thanks
Atheory
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Atheory's Project: PzB-Normandy Campaign - by Ocito80 - 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM