• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Sending attached support BACK up the chain
07-09-2017, 12:58 PM,
RE: Sending attached support BACK up the chain
(07-09-2017, 11:39 AM)Weasel Wrote: I should have clarified that according to the Matrix you can click on the X beside the unit.

You did remind me of one thing I was forgetting about, I was thinking the AI would commit 3 of each type to a battle, but that isn't so, it is a max of 6 of ANY type; I have some HQs with 3 of each type of artillery plus sappers, rockets, etc; total waste.  If you set it to 3 instead of LOCKED, will it put 3 of each type of artillery into a HQ (3x mdm arty, 3x heavy, 3x rocket etc) or will it pick 3 in a combination?  When I started this battle I did as your notes say, set everyone to 0 to send them all back to Stavka, and then deployed to my armies.

Hi Weasel,

I am not sure of the formula for selection in the engine, but if you look at the unit tab in the commander's report, the filter works by types. To the best of my knowledge those are the breakdown by type. So 3 Arm, 3 Art, 3 Inf etc etc. As far as "artillery', you have Mortars, Rockets, Artillery, and SP Guns. So there is 4 types for a total of 12 if set to 3. Med and Hvy Art fall under artillery.

7.6.3.2. Automatic Attachment of Support Units Each eligible headquarters unit can have its support unit level set by the player by using the ADD or SUB buttons located in the headquarters unit detail window (5.4.16). The level setting indicates the number of each type of support unit that the computer will attempt to provide to that particular headquarters unit, based on availability. For example, if the player sets "Support Level" to 3 the computer would attempt to provide 3 support units of each type, to include Armored, Anti-Tank, Artillery, Anti-aircraft, Rocket, etc

See 26.3.2.4. Units Tab Display Filters

From my experience in the game, it works like it is stated in the rule above.

"it is a max of 6 of ANY type; I have some HQs with 3 of each type of artillery plus sappers, rockets, etc; total waste."

Remember is it per battle, so one HQ supports more than one unit, so you can and will use more than six over several battles. Of course taking into consideration whether they pass the initiative commitment check. 

3 support level seems to work for me, you only have so many units. In my last game I had 60 Army HQs in Mar 1942, set at 3 that is 180 artillery units. Of those type you may have more, but other types you may have a dozen. I take the extra and throw them into Moscow or Leningrad, or where needed. I also "Locked" units too, depend on the year in the game and if the force mix is what I want, I want it to remain fix. I also have a tendency to lean toward casual play over time. By 1944 I use the Support Level system and micro the direct assignment to corps.

I still use the same system, setting the HQ to zero, etc, etc. Honestly it is easier in 1941. There is so much going on, I let the system help me where it can. If I remember at the start there is 150 artillery units alone. That is a lot to move on your own, plus you don't have the admin points anyways. In my current game I am trying something new and sending everything to the Fronts and sorting from there. I set Stavka to 9 and the Fronts to 9 also (not the Military Districts, set them to 0) everything else to zero. I want to see if it helps with the distribution. Then I will distribute from the Fronts to Armies. I will let you know how it turns out. 

The Support Level system is really there if you don't want to micro it, the micro is very time consuming, so the game gives you an out and for the most part it works as intended.

Hope this helps!
'Millions died or suffered in the mud of Flanders between 1914-18. Who remembers them? Even those with names on their graves are by now unknown soldiers.' - Mier Ronnen, Jerusalem Post, 1933 Gris
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Sending attached support BACK up the chain - by Gris - 07-09-2017, 12:58 PM