• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
05-05-2016, 09:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM by BigDuke66.)
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
While the other points make an interesting discussion I go back to the original topic.
As I mentioned I don't mind that we have no dusk/dawn turns but the impression stays that I can't do enough per day in the early scenarios where the combat day should be much longer than what we now have. I know that there was already an adjustment to address this but I think it's simply not done by raising the movement points, if you would raise them further to fit better with the early scenarios you would likely open up problems with the late scenarios. That is why I brought up the topic of adjusting the number of turns per day by using PDTs that mirror the time that was available with the number of turns in a certain time of the year and not by a general request for more movement points. I understand that a campaign has to be manageable but I really don't see so much effect even in campaign scenarios by adding 1-2 turns a day.
I want to point out that just because the players would get more turns per day doesn't mean they would use them day by day to the max and so could end up with a performance that would lay beyond history. More turns per day would obviously mean less hours covered by the night turns and with that the fatigue recovery at night should be adjusted down. By this we would have a natural limitation of an overuse of the additional turns a day because the fatigue gained over these turns wouldn't be compensated in any way by the night turns, the opposite would be the case because you have more turns to gain fatigue but the 2 night turns would recover less what in the end would again lead to a natural limitation. Overall that would surely change the dynamics of the gameplay with units sometimes in the need for a break over the course of the day.

It seems natural that nobody sees a problem in the late scenarios because the 6 turns a day seem to give enough time if you take dusk & dawn and preparation before and after dusk & dawn into the calculation, but also because we don't see any big movements anymore where one could see the discrepancy building up over several days. With this there is also a lack of discrepancy that really stands out comparing early vs. late scenarios because if late looks OK there is not much to compare against when looking at the early scenarios.

What ComradeP said is very true, with supports weapons taking a lot time to get into position, a position that can easily be spoiled if the enemy simply drops back a hex, it's hard to bring in the full effect of what is at hand and it takes time. It feels more like grinding through the enemy instead of dealing him a real punch that makes him take up a new position. With 1 turn to move, 1 turn to get out of travel mode you can fire on the 3rd turn what limits the use to 2 times a day at best. Again something that is much more noticeable in the early scenario with a lot movement compared to later scenarios with a stiffening frontline. But I don't see the need to change the way support weapons take time to setup, just more turns would be nice in the earlier mobile phase of the game.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns - by BigDuke66 - 05-05-2016, 09:57 AM