• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
04-09-2016, 05:38 PM, (This post was last modified: 04-11-2016, 04:22 AM by BigDuke66.)
Feedback Needed  FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns
Hi
Currently I'm playing a scenario in August 1914 and while I have not played many scenarios I looked at the pace of my troops and the impact they can make on the enemy each day and I feel that there needs to be more, more distance to be covered and more combat to be conducted.
So I looked at the daytime available and found a rather good page for it and used roughly used the center of the map from my current scenario(1914_0820_01s: Von Moltke's Indecisiveness):
http://www.sonnenverlauf.de/#/48.8278,6....20/12:03/1
As you can see there are over 14 hours of pure daylight and over 1 hour of dawn & dusk combined, dawn & dusk use the Civil_twilight(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twilight#Civil_twilight) and can surely be extended by another 10-15% where there would be acceptable light in clear sky conditions.
As you see we talk about +15 hours and 14 minutes with enough light to conduction operations.

Now throughout the France 14 game the turn layout is 6 turns per day covering 12 hours and 2 turns at night also covering 12 hours, the use of day & night turns only differs from the Panzer Campaign series where there are also dawn & dusk turns.
I see a problem with the missing dawn & dusk turns because it neither allows to prepare for the day nor for the night. Just take cavalry that has to dismount to recover fatigue what means you already have to do it in the last day turn in order to gain recovery on both nigh turns, just like you have to use the first day turn to get into position for any assault because any move at night(unless in column on roads) disrupts your unit what leads to 1/2 Fire Value and the inability to assault and bad roles would lead ti such units not being able to assault for not just 1 but more turns.
Besides that there is also the problem that France 14, unlike Panzer Campaign games, covers a big timeframe from early August to mid November what in reality would lead to daylight getting much less over the course of the game.
The combination of this is that there is pace & combat missing for the August to September scenarios while there is too much pace & combat for the late October to November scenarios.
Both seems bad as the pace & combat is needed for early scenario where there is still a mobile warfare, while the late scenarios depicting an already very solid frontline don't need it as the combatants are often already massed toe to toe and already depict the kind of slaughtering that would be regular the following years.

So seeing all this made me think that there needs to be an adjustment to make the scenarios roughly giving back a day turn number that resembles the daylight + dawn & dusk available at that time.

I don't know the internals of this series but I can imaging that the missing dawn & dusk turns are something that the engine completely misses, if that is true the adjustment can only be done by adjusting the number of day turns.
I doubt that it needs to be done scenario by scenario but rather by doing it like the OOBs were done, by depicting certain phases of the France 1914 campaign and giving each a proper PDT file. There could be an early PDT version that gives 8 day turns, an mid-early version with 7 day turns and a late version that only gives 5 day turns while the current PDT with 6 day turns could be used as a mid-late version.
+1-2 turns for early & mid-early to also cover dawn & dusk completely where operations were still possible, and only -1 for late again to take dawn & dusk into the math.

Examples are my current scenario(1914_0820_01s: Von Moltke's Indecisiveness) where we talk about 15 hours and 14 minutes what still can justify 8 day turns covering 16 hours when you imaging that preparations were often done even before dawn and after dusk.
A late example would be scenarios like Ypress(1914_1111_01s: The Prussian Guard's Grand Finale) where you have at best around 10 hours and 20 minutes daylight + dawn & dusk what justifies 5 day turns only.

So these are my thoughts, I just had to post this as it kept circling in my head for some time now.

Comments are very welcome.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
FWWC - Adjustment to number of turns - by BigDuke66 - 04-09-2016, 05:38 PM