• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
01-30-2016, 07:11 AM,
RE: Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games?
I only have limited experience with Squad Battles, but it is what it says it is.  It's a tactical level game which looks at small unit actions at company/battalion level.  It was quite popular, but seems to have fallen off as time as gone on.  I'm also not sure if there is any ongoing developmental effort with the series.  Does anyone know?

I have extensive experience with Campaign Series and its a tactical/operational level game.  I was a playtester for some of the expansions that came out with EF and WF back in the day.  I'm also played the game since the late '90s when it released.  I'm currently a member of the Campaign Series Legion which released the CS Middle East in September and will release CS Vietnam in late 2016.

As the CS, it is more geared for battalion to Corps level battles at tactical and operational level.  On occasion, folks have pushed this to Army level battles during WW2, such as the Kursk series by von Earlman and the Battle of the Bulge series by Don Fox.  I think that speaks to the play-ability and flexibility of the game.

Over the course of its game life, it was very popular, though like any simulation it has its issues.  I do know that its development is ongoing.  I prefer CS, but that is my own personal choice because it allows me to capture a more fluid battle at a higher unit level.  That is something I prefer.  I've love the game ever since I saw the T34s racing across the Steppe in 3D back in the late-90's when I first started playing.

Regards,

Jim vK
Blitzkrieg Wargaming Club
and
Campaign Series Legion
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can someone help explain the difference in Tiller games? - by Jim von Krieg - 01-30-2016, 07:11 AM