• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Why I play Squad Battles
10-31-2014, 01:15 AM, (This post was last modified: 10-31-2014, 01:21 AM by Stejones82.)
b_Exclamation Mark  Why I play Squad Battles
Hey, we all know that this game is not perfect, but it is a blast! It is entertaining! Now I don't play that many other series of Tiller games, but SqB is a great system for games. Here is another example of "why we play."

My esteemed opponent, Embis played the US in Pacific War, "In Tojo's Pocket." A nice small affair with a small map, limited number of troops, but with enough hardware and support issues to make it fun and interesting. Caves are a HUGE wildcard, if you have not yet played games with either caves or tunnels/sewers - they add a cool dimension.

Anyway, much to my chagrin. His yanks walked all over my forward sniper, which put me in a real bind as now his "shock and awe" troops were challenging for the objectives much faster than I had anticipated! Delaying tactics were the strategy du jour!

After a small see-saw for the center, my reinforcements arrived for committal. Added to my woes was the fire support came in towards the "max" delay. Still, I committed all and tried to hold, knowing it was a "lost cause." Oh well - C'est la guerre, as our French Friends say.

Mark kept pressing and we came down to his trying to take the middle objective. As it ended, one Japanese soldier held out against four assaults to secure a victory-point "minor defeat" for the US.

This game was 12 turns of nail-biting action with a photo finish. Okay - perhaps not the perfect simulation - but great FUN!!

Steve

[Image: Last%20turn%20zoom.jpg]

[Image: VictCond.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Why I play Squad Battles - by Stejones82 - 10-31-2014, 01:15 AM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by kolc - 10-31-2014, 02:48 AM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by wiggum - 10-31-2014, 08:20 PM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by TheBigRedOne - 10-31-2014, 10:51 PM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by wiggum - 11-01-2014, 01:12 AM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by Richie61 - 11-01-2014, 01:48 AM
RE: Why I play Squad Battles - by Dog Soldier - 11-02-2014, 05:31 AM