• redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Thinking about larger battles.........
08-10-2012, 12:12 AM,
RE: Thinking about larger battles.........
I remember that Rich and I talked a bit about being able to change the maximum visibility during a scenario for Falklands. I wanted to do the whole Goose Green battle in one scenario. I believe that John Tiller was willing to discuss the possibility, but it didn't get included. Perhaps he has the time to add that feature to the engine now.

Another way to deal with scenarios that cover multiple days is to break them down into a series of linked scenarios. The OOB and perhaps the map would stay the same for all of the scenarios, but after each portion of the battle, the position, strength, effectiveness and supply status of the units would be modified to reflect the results of the last battle. This would be cleaner than bringing in jeeploads of rifles to reflect resupply (or waiting 50 turns for the numbers to rise through the engine). The downside is that it would require an umpire who was very familiar with the scenario editors and has the time to create new scenarios on the fly. I might be willing to try it once I get my current project completed.

One of the things that I would like to see added to SB is a campaign feature similar to those in the Napoleonic and ACW engines where losses are carried over from scenario to scenario and the results of previous game determines which scenario is played next. This would require a player to really consider the cost of gaining an objective, knowing that he is going to have to fight again the next day with the same troops.

Just my two cents worth.

Jeff
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Thinking about larger battles......... - by Jeff Conner - 08-10-2012, 12:12 AM