• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some questions about France '40
12-31-2011, 05:52 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-31-2011, 07:01 PM by jonnymacbrown.)
RE: Some questions about France '40
"I am seeing Belgian HW units with a defense of 16 in the Multi-Strategies version."

Yes Belgian motorized, cyclists and engineers are rated 16. Regular infantry 12.

"Plenty of good French units with 14 and 16 defense values. The majority of the French with a twelve defense are fortress troops IIRC. Best to leave them in their bunkers of dig them in woods or cities."

Yes there are plenty of French units rated 14 defense, I'd say 90% of them. That's c. 15% lower defense against soft attack numbers. That hurts, believe me, when they are D & C rated getting shot at by German infantry with soft attack factors of 10 & 11.

"JMB, you appear to be ignoring the BEF whose defense values are equal to the Germans. The BEF artillery is a darn sight better than the German in most respects too."

Sorry, I didn't mean to ignore them; those fellows are good and have 16 defense and great arty.

"There were some BEF reserve divisions, 5th & 12th in I Corps IIRC, that had poor defense ratings. Perhaps these were second line troops send to the continent in haste? Otherwise, in this particular F40 CG the German with no respect of the BEF is going to get his head handed to him, IMHO."

You are right! There is no complaint here about the BEF

"Good Allied play is not easy in F40. It is very rewarding though. Just figuring out a way to save the bulk of the Belgian Group K is well worth the effort. Those boys know how to tweak a Hun's nose!"

Group K has some good boys and they put up a good fight, and can slow down the Germans in the Ardennes that's for sure. I must admit however that Group K didn't get out of the Ardennes alive; perhaps having mistook one of der Fuhrer's hold to the last man orders as having come from Paris.

"Defending in PzC is more of an art form than the science of being the attacker. A good defensive player is one of the best in the club IMHO. Defending France in the F40 CG scenario 0510_91: The Invasion of France and Belgium (w/German Strategy) is a PzC player's final exam in the defensive arts school."

I agree. I'm at the 16th of May and have killed close to 1400 panzers but I've lost close to 300,000 men in the process. I'm still fighting but I wish I had some of those divisions represented in Volcano Man's mod; especially the 14th with B rated Legion troops with a defense of 18! My guys are B rated with a defense of 14. This scenario would be more fun, for me anyway, with Volcano Man's oob.
jonny :smoke:

Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Some questions about France '40 - by Archijerej - 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by jonnymacbrown - 12-31-2011, 05:52 PM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by FM WarB - 12-27-2011, 02:03 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM