• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Some questions about France '40
12-22-2011, 09:56 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2011, 05:40 AM by Archijerej.)
Some questions about France '40
I'm currently playing two great France '40 scenarios (Sedan_alt as Germans, and Dinant_alt as French) and two things occured to me.
First, is the composition of German recon battalion right? As far as I know it was two companies of some 10 armored cars each and a motorcycle company. Right now, having 50 armored cars with high soft attack rating, the result is that the German player has an extra tank battalion to add to his already rich arsenal. No wonder that some will be tempted to use it to spearhead the attack and massacre enemy infantry. A battalion with historical composition would be used as it should, being strong enough to deal with enemy covering forces (armored cars pin the enemy company holding a crossroad, then motorcyclists assault) and screen against local counterattacks on the flanks. It could also be divided in three parts instead of two, wich is useful when several Kampfgruppes are moving along diffferent roads.
The second thing is infantry hard attack range. I think that the alternative assault rules for hard vehicles are great and historical, but shouldn't French infantry with their organic 25mm and German with 37mm AT guns have some ranged ability against armored cars, halftracks and PzI/II? Right now these vehicles can simply ignore the infantry that sits right next to them in good supporting position and concentrate their fire against key objectives. I bet that commanders of such vehicles would not dare to show their rear side even to the most unimpressive AT guns. With that in mind wouldn't it be worth to consider a hard attack ratings of 2/1 for French and 3/1 for Germans?
I hope that I don't sound like I'm being overly critical and I hope my english is understandable. The game is great, the _alt ratings are excellent, I'd just like the design to encourage using historical tactics instead of brute force (which the Germans have already enough ;) ), without disrupting the current balance.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Some questions about France '40 - by Archijerej - 12-22-2011, 09:56 PM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 01:02 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-27-2011, 08:33 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by Narwan - 12-29-2011, 01:43 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by FM WarB - 12-27-2011, 02:03 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 03:46 AM
RE: Some questions about France '40 - by smurf309 - 12-27-2011, 06:02 AM