• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Pre-planned arty fire on setup zones
07-19-2011, 06:22 AM,
RE: Pre-planned arty fire on setup zones
(07-16-2011, 11:30 AM)O Murchadha Wrote: I have a question regarding the targeting of anywhere but the set-up zone on turn one. I ask because, one function of arty is to deny your enemy access to certain terrain. For instance, an important hilltop (not in set up area) will be targeted if I think it will eventually house a FO team. A main road into an OBJ or key terrain, to deny use of said road. Anybody see this as too gamey?

Being a forward observer myself, I think this is the only right way to use arty. Artillery is really not about killing guys and blowing up vehicles. It's mainly about affecting the way the enemy will act. To force them into a position that is beneficial to your side by, like you said, denying them acces to certain areas or roads, by supressing them (not killing) while you advance, securing your flanks, feinting an attack, etc.

This being said, it surprises me that I actually need to see something to be able to shell it. The forward observer can get the coördinates for a road or a hill from just looking at a map. he may not be able to adjust fire because he can't see that target, but you should be able to just fire for effect without adjusting at the loss of accuracy.

Loving the game and the realistic implementation of artillery tough Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pre-planned arty fire on setup zones - by Whisky - 07-19-2011, 06:22 AM