• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

My Second Newbie Thread
02-02-2011, 08:09 AM,
My Second Newbie Thread
Hi all. New player, here. I started a thread last May, geared at getting into PBEM, but let myself get distracted by Squad Battles and then other games. Now I have a few more questions.

I read somewhere recently that JT has come up with a simple, elegant solution to the AT problem. (I think I read that) Does anyone know what the solution is, and what titles it's been incorporated in to so far? Even in Smolensk '41, AT guns on both sides are useless. They can't be deployed next to the enemy, or retreated from the enemy without tremendous losses. It seems to me that, as long as the hex they're entering or leaving has some friendly infantry to cover them, then they shouldn't be so hard hit.

Next question: How do most players clear defended minefields? Do you send the small Engineer companies forward by themselves, to get shot up? Or do you send in some regular infantry first to cover them, taking some mine hits in the process?

Also, I read in the rules that after engineers are working on mine clearing it should be safe for other units to enter the hex as long as the engineers are still there. It seems that, even a turn after the engineers go in, my other troops still take losses.

I've focused my learning the game by playing the h2h version of the Dniepr river crossing Mogilev scenario, since that's what I'm aiming to play PBEM first. It's the only h2h approved scenario in Smolensk '41, the only PzC game I own so far. My only experience with mine fields stems from the ones west of Mogilev.

Thanks!
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
My Second Newbie Thread - by Ubercat - 02-02-2011, 08:09 AM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Glenn Saunders - 02-02-2011, 09:00 AM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Guderian - 02-02-2011, 03:15 PM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Mike Bowen - 02-02-2011, 11:20 PM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Ubercat - 02-03-2011, 02:16 AM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Ubercat - 02-03-2011, 12:25 PM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Compass Rose - 02-03-2011, 01:22 PM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Guderian - 02-03-2011, 01:26 PM
RE: My Second Newbie Thread - by Ubercat - 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM