• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Legend Is Born DAR (Now completed)
01-06-2011, 04:36 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-20-2011, 07:10 PM by Crossroads.)
A Legend Is Born DAR (Now completed)
A Legend Is Born
by Don M. Fox.

Games played: 28 (46-11-43)
Turns: 40. First side Axis. Ground: Dry. Visibility: 2 (Very thick fog)

[Image: Kuva1.jpg]
(I nicked this cool pic from Lorraine 1944 book - sorry...)

September 19, 1944 Arracourt, France (Best played human vs human, or as Allied vs AI) During the third week of September, the 4th Armored Division penetrated the line of the Moselle River, and executed a double envelopment of the German forces defending the city of Nancy. It was a classic example of armored exploitation, as CCA/4 swept around the north side of the city, and CCB/4 advance around the south. While the trailing infantry divisions dealt with the defenders of Nancy and secured the bridgeheads across the Moselle, the 4th Armored was ordered to hold their positions east of the city. Their activity was limited to strong rear-area raids, and the establishment of outposts at the farthest reaches of their advance. As this action was taking place, Hitler was preparing to launch his own counterattack against the 3rd Army. It was originally designed to carry the 5th Panzer Army all the way to Reims. But faced with the encirclement of the bulk of the 553rd VG Division at Nancy, the collapse of the Moselle line, and the piecemeal early commitment of various elements of the 5th Panzer Army, the objective was changed. The 5th Panzer Army's mission was now the relief of Nancy and the destruction of the 4th Armored Division in its positions east of the river. On September 18th, the Germans launched a strong attack against Luneville (off the southwest corner of your map). Alerted by this display of force, as well as the sound of running engines and reports filtering in from civilians regarding massed German armor to the southeast of CCA/4, "Patton's Spearhead" stood ready on the foggy morning of September 19. Little did they know that this would be a day that would provide the cornerstone for the their reputation as the best armored division in the ETO.

Having pretty much completed my chronological tour of Normandy, I was wondering what would be the next theme for my WF gaming.

Thanks to Hawk, as he first picked Across the Seine, then this one, I will immerse myself on Don M Fox scenarios following the trails of Patton's Fourth AD in thier famed drive towards East.

We are now into turn 11 in this one, and what fun it has been.

I like to do my reading while playing these scenarios, and during the Normandy campaign I finished (at least) Beevor's D-Day, Meyer's Grenadiers, Reynolds' Steel Inferno, and some others as well.

While waiting for Don Fox's Patton's Vanguard to arrive from Amazon:

[Image: 51DTNMV65NL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

I have read these two books, available free in web.

Barnes Arracourt - September 1944: http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=...tTRDoc.pdf

The Lorraine Campaign, by Hugh M Cole, and its Chapter V, Arracourt tank battle: http://www.history.army.mil/books/wwii/l...ntent.html

Those documents have given me a nice historical background on the battles and troops that fought there. The local Discovery Channel has also ran the Greatest Tank Battles series from Canadian History channel. I have thoroughly enjoyed watching them. Arracourt was included, and given the series has always interviewed surviving veterans from both sides, it provided for some very emotional moments as the grim tale of this little known battle was told.

Given the absolute battering the Germans received at Arracourt, in one of the largest tank battles in ETO, I fit nicely the German player as historically they were suffering from a low morale as well... Whip

In addition of playing the scenario, I opted to have some other goals as well.

The tactics...no, amateurs discuss tactics,.... Professional soldiers study logistics.

I will try to concentrate on undestanding The CS Supply rules and, in addition, the CC optional rule. I created this thread for further discussion on Supply: https://www.theblitz.club/message_boards...?tid=57740

Finally, I am playing this scenario blind as a bat. As always. I just enjoy these like that, with very little knowledge of enemy apart from what is available in the scenario description. :kill:

(01-06-2011, 04:36 AM)Sgt K. Kat Wrote: TURN 1: INTO THE BATTLE

First, some key decisions:

Regarding the DAR, I will faithfully reproduce my thinking with a delay of some 10-12 turns compared to where we are at in the scenario.

The US forces were quite succesful in anticipation of German movements with the information they received from the French population and German POWs. I will gladly allow my opponent with that intel. 10 turns can be an eternity in this game.

I do not guarantee that the information on my main plan is accurate anymore, though! :kill:

One of the (many) deciding factors for deciding the outcome of this battle was the very flexible command chain of the US forces, compared to micro management of the Nazi High Command on the other side. Therefore, I will obey my intepretation of the scenario description to full.

Firstly, I will seek and destroy the US forces at Arracourt, and not concentrate at all on the exit hexes. Later, as there are 40 turns in this scenario, should I still have forces available, I will try to open a relief route to Nancy.

Arracourt, with its high ground, was able to monitor the main highway to Nancy, it is important that this area will be neutralised as a prelude to reliving Nancy.

Therefore, my goal is to meet, engage and destroy the US forces at Arracourt and relieve the high ground around it.

In order to do that, I made the following plan:

[Image: Kuva2.jpg]

With my KG A (Kampfgruppe A), I will advance through the main North-South highway. I will try to engage the enemy very aggressively with my forward units, while at some point I will swing to West with the main force. KGA will advance to Arracourt, with orders to secure the high ground on its way forward.

My KG B will advance North and has orders to aggressively engage any enemy units it will face. KGB will have the task of securing the high ground South of Arracourt.

Arracourt lies in the plateau, well protected with surrounding rivers. Much of the initial fun was to figure out the proper way to approach the town, and my conclusion was that it is absolutely vital I can capture the main bridge, East of town, in working condition. Otherwise I will need to make a long detour via South in order to be able to reach the 3000 VP at Arracourt.

[Image: Kuva3.jpg]

It was not until a few turns ago I realised these are shallow rivers, and they can be crossed anywhere. All this expectation for a Bridge Too Far for nothing. Bummer! :hissy:
Visit us at CSLegion.com
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Legend Is Born DAR (Now completed) - by Crossroads - 01-06-2011, 04:36 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 01-06-2011, 05:39 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 01-17-2011, 03:40 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 01-31-2011, 12:38 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 02-08-2011, 04:06 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 02-20-2011, 02:40 AM
RE: A Legend Is Born DAR - by Crossroads - 02-20-2011, 07:06 PM