• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

A Close Run Thing
12-24-2010, 08:01 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-25-2010, 10:01 AM by Jim von Krieg.)
A Close Run Thing - Turn 5
Turn 5: Chase Ends

[Image: e18ee4d885Turn5.jpg]

My foe's Engineers continue to attempt to escape in their trucks. I scratch my head, but I'll take it as good fortune. Easy kills are the best kills. One platoon of trucks drives towards Hill 368, while the other runs away out of LOS. Scout cars and light tanks are just too fast for the trucks trundling along cross country.

As the first group didn’t run fast enough, they are quickly overrun. My tanks and scout cars follow closely with artillery support. Artillery drives him into the tree line, but his escape is short lived as the tanks and scout cars annihilate the fleeing engineers as their attempt to evade has failed.

Larry comments on SOF Sector:

Still no contact in Salerno area. Recon platoon pushing south towards Brit main landing forces. Possible tenuous connection next turn or two. Brit SOF trucks starting shuttle of Rangers into Salerno and we are digging in and setting up OPs to watch for Kraut approach. Naval gunfire tasked on areas of likely truck or HQ concentration or movement.

Scott comments on X Corps Sector:

Almost reached HWY 18 by Salerno. Used x2 smoke and targeted 88mm guns with fire from Bishops. If I'm able to secure this area without a fight then I'll move the two beach groups north and pass to Larry to defend Salerno.

I'll move one of the 46th's Infantry Brigades to the HWY 18 area where my lead elements are now and hold that area. The other IB will stay near the beach area. The brigades can either support Salerno or a later move on Bat.

I did not use any naval gunfire or air assets. I think it would be a mistake to waste on trying to take our armored car spotters. Larry if you don't need them for any targets in Salerno then I guess the best thing is to plaster Bat and other areas where the Germans are traveling or concentrating. Saw some indirect fire make a truck retreat in Bat.

The London Division is moving south. It will take a long time for my infantry to reach the Americans. Hopefully the enemy is thinking I was to sneak up the river valley towards Battlipaglia. By the time they figure out I'm on my way to help Jim I hope my armor (that has just arrived this turn) can cut any help from behind.

Watching the replay it looks like the enemy is moving a division to contest the river crossing against the Americans.

For the next few turns, my attention will turn to Hill 368 and closing on the Sele River crossing sites IVO Ponte Alla Scafa.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
A Close Run Thing - by Jim von Krieg - 12-13-2010, 11:22 AM
A Close Run Thing - Turn 2 - by Jim von Krieg - 12-14-2010, 01:43 PM
A Close Run Thing - Turn 3 - by Jim von Krieg - 12-15-2010, 12:21 PM
RE: A Close Run Thing - by Remko van den Berg - 12-15-2010, 07:06 PM
RE: A Close Run Thing - by Jim von Krieg - 12-16-2010, 12:19 AM
RE: A Close Run Thing - by enigma6584 - 12-16-2010, 09:59 AM
RE: A Close Run Thing - by Jim von Krieg - 12-19-2010, 03:07 PM
RE: A Close Run Thing - by Larry Reese - 12-20-2010, 04:45 PM
A Close Run Thing - Turn 5 - by Jim von Krieg - 12-24-2010, 08:01 AM
A Close Run Thing - Turn 6 - by Jim von Krieg - 12-25-2010, 02:56 AM