• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Petition: John Tiller - Remove DRM Kharkov 43
12-04-2010, 04:23 AM, (This post was last modified: 12-04-2010, 04:25 AM by Assault.)
Petition: John Tiller - Remove DRM Kharkov 43
Dear Mr. Tiller,

I have been a fan of your games since the Talonsoft days and own more than 30 games you have authored. I wouldn't know how to begin mentioning the countless hours I have spent playing these games and the joy they bring. I know that there are many others who like me, enjoy the work you produce. We check the HPS website, The Blitz and other sites on a daily basis for information on new releases, patches, discussions. We play against opponents who challenge us and test our skills. We read up on the historical accounts of the military struggles.

As a software engineer, I know that one of the greatest threats to our livelihood is piracy. But many, if not most of us, are legitimate customers who value the work that goes into producing these games and would not ever think about distributing these games illegally or illegitimately.

It is my belief though that unlike many of today's games, military games like the ones you create fall into a very exclusive niche that only individuals with specific interest in military history delve into. Most people in the population are just not up to putting the effort into learning the 100+ pages found in the Panzer Campaigns manuals, much less go through the trouble of copying such a game. Which means that the threat of piracy is really not that great: It takes a certain type of intelligent individual to appreciate and carry out the amount of mental activity that goes into developing a military strategy to play these games, which is totally unlike a "fast-shooter" where shooting is all that is required.

Please reconsider the inclusion of Digital Rights Management in your games. Don't push honest and loyal customers away because of the threat of piracy.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Petition: John Tiller - Remove DRM Kharkov 43 - by Assault - 12-04-2010, 04:23 AM