• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
04-23-2012, 05:43 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-24-2012, 05:00 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
RE: France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
Turn 20

French commander (Foul) turn 20 thoughts:
In the North
I have decided to pull my cavalry back over the Haute Deule canal, the threat to Lens does not seem to serious at the moment and i am still transferring unit south to the centre of my position as that i where a breakthrough might come.

In the centre
Desperate fighting all along the line, a breakthrough is expected any time as Rick strives to gain a foothold on the Vimy ridge, most of my units are fatigued and disrupted. In the area to the south of Vimy ridge Rick's advance is taking heavy casualties from my batteries of 75's and his rate of advance is slowing with many more disrupted units and even the occasional broken one, i now have the 38e Bde in position to ensure there will be no breakthrough here today.

In the south
Heavy fighting on the north ridge as Rick captures a second hex, an attack on the south ridge seems to have been a failure with two units breaking under the fire of my 75's, i was very worried about how thin my line is here but each move that passes is closer to reinforcements arriving!

All in all not as bad as i expected, seeing the first glimmer that Rick's troops are starting to suffer from the need to push on so hard.

German commander (RickyB) turn 20 thoughts:
The bloody battle continues, with my troops worn out. A small attack is going in at the far south, and my cav is attacking in the far north, but I don't know if I have enough troops in good order to keep it going.

[Image: 9c2dd7a280Turn20_French.jpg]
Turn 21

French commander (Foul) turn 21 thoughts:
In the North
Things are still relatively stable in this area, i have withdrawn from the eastern side of the canal and Rick has taken the opportunity to chase my cavalry hard, not really sure why this did not happen sooner?

In the Centre
Huge fight going on all down the line at the foot of Vimy ridge, all of my forces are disrupted and heavily fatigued, however i am seeing signs that Rick's forces are suffering from this fighting also with broken battalions and cavalry leading the assault, now he has come close to my batteries of 75's he in finally taking serious casualties with 50/60 men falling per shot, the 38e Bde has also propped up the line at the southern end of Vimy ridge and i am very glad i took the chance to move them north before the crises hit.

In the South
Fighting continues for the procession of both ridges, the situation on the north ridge seems to have stabilized although my forces are shattered, to achieve this i have left the southern ridge very weakly held and finally Rick has pushed in this area, so a new area of concern has appeared at the very southern edge of the map, however i am about to receive reinforcements by rail that should be able to secure this area quickly and it was this fact that allowed me to make the call about the 38e Bde, once again Rick's move may have come just too late.

Nine moves to go and this could go either way still.............

German commander (RickyB) turn 21 thoughts:
I continue to edge forward, and am pushing a bit harder in the north. It took a couple of cavalry charges in the north to clear a path to the bridges - including the retreat of the French to a hex with the river at its back, so I hope to capture all of them. I also charged an MG unit guarding the bridge and succeeded so there is some room to maneuver in the north. I doubt I can advance much further in the center and south but will see, I do have a few fresh troops and think I can take at least one more objective.

[Image: f83089c4e2Turn21_German.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: France '14 AAR Turning the flank !! - by Mr Grumpy - 04-23-2012, 05:43 AM