• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
11-02-2010, 09:08 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM by Mr Grumpy.)
France '14 AAR Turning the flank !!
Here is an AAR that the design/testing team behind F14 have been working on since the release of that title, it features the scenario 1914_1001_02s: Turning the Flank with two of the playtesters RickyB and Foul. battling it out while the designer Volcano Man (VM) is providing his neutral comments as the events unfold! Big Grin

Setting the scene
"Arras, France, 1st October 1914: During the period known as "The Race to the Sea", both sides attempted to outflank the other on many occasions. In the beginning of October, with the front line now extended to Arras, the French had massed enough troops in the area to create the Xe Armée under the command of Maud'huy. The order was given for this new army to launch an immediate attack from Arras to take Douai, and push on and outflank the Germans. As the attack commenced, the French made good progress against German cavalry divisions which were acting as flank guard. However, the French were quickly placed on the defensive as yet another German corps arrived in the nick of time with the opposite intent: taking Arras and turning the French flank."

The scenario is 30 turns.

VM's additional notes
"This scenario represents what is historically known as the First Battle of Arras. This battle historically began to subside at the end of the 4th of October, which is when this scenario ends. On the 5th, the situation was mostly stabilized in this sector and the fighting shifted north.
The French 21e Corps d'Armée is not present because it was not until the 7th of October when this force arrived from the north (specifically from the Lille-Armentières area). At that point the battle to turn the flank was carried further north."

Opposing forces
[Image: f4aa96895eAlternate%20Arras_starting-situation-map.jpg]
*Note* While the French forces are almost complete, the German's have a Reserve Corps arriving by rail.

Terrain features
[Image: 844b4aa3a8Alternate%20Arras_map-2D-zoom-out.jpg]
This map shows the locations of the rivers and vital high ground the French must hold, for location of places included in the text see image below.

Victory conditions
[Image: 70170d8474victory1.JPG]
The German player has to capture several thousand points worth of objectives to achieve a result, the major objectives are Arras (2500),Lens (1500), Bethune (1500) and twenty or so other locations worth 250-500 points.

French commander (Foul.) initial thoughts.
"Turn 1,
As the French player i need to grab as much territory (especially the high ground) and take advantage of RickyB's initial weakness before switching to the defensive later on, the map is divided up roughly into three areas by rivers, in the southern and centre zones each side of the river Scarpe i will make the obvious move of pushing the 10e Corps to the east of Arras to occupy the ridge line running north and south of Wancourt, once my batteries are established there i can try to form a buffer to protect the ridge and its vp locations and in the centre zone push the 33e Corps to occupy Vimy Ridge and its vp locations, from there i can try to capture some more territory to the east around Vitry-en-Artois and Beaumont to again act as a buffer to the German counter attack.

In the northern zone i plan to use the 2e Cav Corps to occupy the area to the north of Lens, while the 1e Cav Corps push's either side of the Lens canal to try to squeeze Rick out of the Harnes river triangle and hence secure a river line to protect my northern flank.

The first move is taken up with moving my forces forward, because of lack of infantry support i have been conservative with my cav forward line leaving them mounted (T mode) just in case Rick is more aggressive, in the northern zone occupied by my two cav corps also i am planning on using my Dragoons dismounted to take advantage of their enhanced soft attack value, any units disrupted can then be charged by Hussar's who possess a higher assault value."

German commander (RickyB) initial thoughts
"SITUATION ANALYSIS
I reviewed my troops, they are mostly cavalry corps troops, with my regular infantry on my left flank. The cavalry is a bit tired, 150 fatigue, so I will use some to keep pressure on the French troops to my front while I rest others for later use. With 30 turns, I will need fresh troops later in the battle.
The French hold a very large number of objective points, and are near a major win with them. The objective values indicate that losses are secondary in this fight, taking the objectives from the enemy is critical to winning, unlike some battles where losses drive the victory.

In the north, the French have a number of cavalry and MG units massed in front of Lens, with some cavalry deployed, others in travel mode. I will thus hold in their front while pushing to the north of Lens where the French appear a bit weaker. Just south of Lens, I am trying cavalry charges against single French cavalry units, but further south near Arras, French infantry are deployed in my front so I will stand off there for now. My left flank infantry will push hard south of Arras, depending on what they run into.
Overall my long term plan is to push hard between the heavier forces at Lens and Arras, to open their flanks, plus an infantry attack south of Arras. My hope is for a double envelopment to force the French out of Arras."

Turn 1

Movements on Turn 1
[Image: 51dc5425c5Arras_Opening-Plan-Turn-1.jpg]

Observer: Volcano
NOTE: The observer's comments were made after the play of each turn was complete, and was not made available to either side at the time that the turn was being played. See the 2D zoom out map screen shot for references to place names.

This scenario occurs during the period known as the "Race to the Sea", when both sides were extending the front line north, leap frogging around each other's flank in turn until it eventually reaches Ypres, and the English Channel. Historically, by this date the German and French main infantry line had stretched from the border of Switzerland to Nancy, on to Verdun, Reims, to the Aisne area, then north to this place at Arras. North of this area to the channel was an open area that was up for grabs, with the only sizable force being the Belgian and German forces at Antwerp, which the German attempt to capture Antwerp was commencing on this very day (see the 1914_1001_01s scenario).

Having said that, the key to this scenario at Arras lies in the north. The north is held by cavalry of both sides, since it was, at that time, the open flank. To the south the infantry are advancing to contact as they attempt to extend the main line into their area. Further south off the map is a relatively stagnant front line as both sides have already met in this manner again and again and fought to a stand still.

As was often the case during the Race to the Sea period, one side has a jump on the other in the opening situation, being able to bring more infantry to bear on the flank than the other side can. In this particular case, it is the French who have an early advantage: they have two infantry corps present on the map at start while the Germans only have one. As had happened in each flank battle from the Aisne to this sector, any local superiority of numbers would be pressed forward to attempt to establish a foot hold on the ground and, if possible, to help turn the flank (the primary goal for both sides was to turn in the other's flank, and get around behind them). The Germans might be at a disadvantage here, but it isn't long until their second infantry corps arrives quickly by rail in the coming turns.

The French must press forward with their two infantry corps as quickly as possible. In the far south, the battle will rage along the strategic ridges south west of Arras. If those are given up too quickly then the Germans can bring long range artillery fire to bear on the French west of it, and Arras itself may fall. This sector is actually the most crucial, but the least mobile. In the center, the French must take Vimy Ridge, and push east of it to establish a buffer and put as much pressure on the German cavalry forces that are, at the present time, screening the area. The French can probably not reach Douai in the rear, but the objective is only present to keep the Germans honest, so to speak. By bloodying the German cavalry in the center, or at least putting pressure on them so that they cannot rest, it will keep them from coming into action in another place until they spend valuable time to rest and recover from the initial pressure placed upon them.

Initially the German cavalry forces are essentially spread thin and their main task is screening for the arrival of the I.bayer.Reservekorps, which arrives by rail (as mentioned above). Once the Bavarians have arrived, the Germans can commit them as desired. Should they be massed at one point in the center, or spread out in the center between the Scarpe (the east-west river in the far south) and the Canal de Lens (the northwest river in the north at Lens). Historically they were spread in the center, but however they committed surely depend on how the French commit their forces in the center.

Which leads us back to the statement that the key to the scenario lies in the north. Historically the Bavarians arrived and were sent to the center to counter the German 33e CA's forward progress. The German cavalry in the center was relieved as quickly as possible by these Bavarian infantry, and were sent with all haste to the north flank, the Lens to La Bassee area, to attempt to turn the flank and get around behind the French main force.
Basically, a cavalry on cavalry fight occurred while the infantry fought in the center and south. The key to success for the Germans is not only to recognize this, but to efficiently and quickly be able to reposition your forces as the Bavarians arrive. It is tempting to keep the cavalry in the center and have the Bavarian infantry augment their strength, however, the objectives in the north and the exit hexes are open for the taking if the French cavalry can be successfully overwhelmed. But this is not as easy as it sounds, since the French can and should do their best to foul (pun intended? maybe) up the German movements. The key to throwing a wrench in the German plan is with an early vigorous attack on the German center, as mentioned above, which would both tied down the German cavalry there, increase their fatigue, and delaying this move to the north and any subsequent offensive there.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out and whether or not both sides recognize the situation.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
France '14 AAR Turning the flank !! - by Mr Grumpy - 11-02-2010, 09:08 AM