• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

F 14 Campaign scenario observations
06-15-2010, 04:52 PM,
RE: F 14 Campaign scenario observations
"I think the push for the hole is a very valid strategy, what I have always wondered is why both sides were so concerned with the inner flanks between armies, when in all prior wars the armies always fought with open flanks between them and their neighbors. Obviously, by this time most armies had decided that gaps were a big negative, so a test to see how effective it might be sounds excellent."

Good point and well said. Here is the tactical situation around Tournai as I gamed it out. It is afternoon on the 23rd, French 88th DIT is broken and disordered (highlighted) and German 1st Army will be able to move through Tournai beginning on the 24th.

"Best I can tell, the German infantry won't be across the river there until the very end of day 2, which then puts the British releasing in the morning and no real risk to their rear, and as he has mentioned a flank threat is historical, whether from the entire army or lesser forces. That is Ed's only concern, that the Brits not be cut off early on."

Yes that seems to be the case. But I'd surely rather approach this game with this movement and not attack Mons directly. This movement by 1st Army seems like the only logical approach, and why not? Elements from 2nd Army can still take the BEF in flank and cover any gap with 1st Army.

"I suggested taking out a rail hex or 2 around the right wing, to prevent a dash across the river at Tournai, as I did that I got a few units across before the French blocked the rail line, but that didn't help much."

I never thought about that: Moving German units bye RR movement to accomplish this strategy would seem to be beyond the pale and must be banned. :angry: Jonny
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: F 14 Campaign scenario observations - by jonnymacbrown - 06-15-2010, 04:52 PM