• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question to Glenn S regarding AT units
03-22-2010, 04:05 AM,
RE: Question to Glenn S regarding AT units
(03-17-2010, 05:04 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: Anyone can pick whatever alternative resolution rules they desire beyond that. I am only stating this because you make it seem like the _Alt breaks something here with AT gun survivability in Normandy '44, which might be true if you play with Alt Fire Resolution off, but the AT guns in the _Alt have much greater defensive values as well, so even though they can be targeted - they can indeed hold some ground if you don't allow "swarms of tanks" to challenge an AT gun company.

I can see your point about adding additional alt fire rules to an _alt sceanrio if the title plays better with them. I may have been, (like many others) mistaken to believe the required _alt optional rules set was inflexible.
The analysis presented is correct for a CG. I think in the shorter two day sceanrios there is a different dynamic at work requiring the use of the other alt fire optional rules. The problem is more of an undue concentration of firepower by the Allies on a specific unit, the ATG unit in this discussion) which virtually guarantees its disruption in the first Allied turn following the ATG unit being spotted. Disruption of the ATG defenses , then leads to the Allies being able to easily close with the defenders with "swarms of armor". Disruption of the remainder of the stack is then achieved. As our Allied opponents have said, once the defending hex is disrupted "old ladies with brooms can clear it by assault".

(03-17-2010, 05:04 PM)Volcano Man Wrote: Consider too that this is small potatoes compared to what the disablement of the Alternative Fire Resolution rule does to the defender's (the Germans) chances in Normandy '44; turning it off allows them to hold hexes without getting residual fatigue applied with each artillery bombardment, allowing resting and making it actually possible to hold ground. This is the primary culprit to the problems that exist in that title. The Germans in Normandy '44 get no breaks, and if the lack of the Alt Fire Resolution rule hurts the AT guns survivability, then it repays it ten fold to the defender's ability to hold ground. So, it is not as if the lack of the Alt Fire Resolution in N44 breaks it from its perfect harmony it had going on before, but sure, OK, it certainly comes with a consequence but not too with an added benefit. ;)

Again, I would agree with this analysis for the long term in a CG, not in the medium scenarios of two to three days in length.

Finally, the stock France 40 game is correct as the _alt versions to use the alt assault optional rule. Infantry just did not have sufficient organic ways of dealing with the tanks on both sides this early in the war. Tactics used by the Fins in the Winter War against the Russian armor were more inventive (and effective) than any used on the western front in 1940.
Even German infantry was at a loss to stop Allied armor without help. Examples would be the initial French attack on the GD regiment at Stonne, and the Matilidas at Aaras which overran an SS regiment completely panicking the German SS troops. Only the intervention of Rommel, personally directing 88mm guns stopped the British armor that day.

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question to Glenn S regarding AT units - by Dog Soldier - 03-22-2010, 04:05 AM