• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Question to Glenn S regarding AT units
03-09-2010, 12:21 PM,
RE: Question to Glenn S regarding AT units
I've commented before in AT gun threads so I have read with interest what has been posted.

In response to VM's post I noticed that in his MG44_Alt, for instance, he raised the defensive value of AT guns. I thought this was in response to AT units being decimated when going into T-mode while trying to retreat in the face of enemy fire. Possibly I have misinterpreted his intentions although I think this was a good idea.

Since this thread started, I pulled out a book on US AT guns I read a passage where (some) US troops complained when AT guns were upgraded to 57mm from 37mm because, even at that relatively small size, the guns were too heavy to move by hand. Hmmmm, I thought.

Regarding the movement and combat use of AT units in PzC I have come up with what I think is adequate way for their use. In the offense I keep AT units on roads, if possible, and only 1 - 2 hexes behind the frontline troops. I use the front line units to draw the enemy's fire & then move the AT units up to the front line, hoping that I have drawn off most, if not all of the enemy OP fire. This moving up process involves taking the AT units in and out of T-mode frequently & does take some extra time & patience. If you can pull it off, it does work well to get some AT assets in line.

On the defense, I basically reverse the process. Draw off the enemy's OP fire, put the AT units in T-mode & move them out. Of course, in both these methods chances are one is going to take some, maybe significant losses. The player just has to decide whether it's worth the risk. I will just say, however, that I have had worthwhile success using this method. I hope that I just explained it well enough to get my example across. Even with the success I have had, the experience usually reminds me why towed AT guns did not last long beyond the end of WWII. They were tactically just too clumsy.

In any case, I guess I'm satisfied with the current situation regarding towed AT units although I can sympathize with other's frustrations. I'm going to be at TC-III & I hope this does become a topic of discussion. Fascinating stuff!

:soap:
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question to Glenn S regarding AT units - by Al - 03-09-2010, 12:21 PM