• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Discussion thread for possible new bunker creation rule.
01-12-2010, 08:16 AM,
RE: Discussion thread for possible new bunker creation rule.
Ive been talking to Mark about the subject and while i agree to them possibly being built in most areas during WWII we both have a problem with having them in the MC series, it even came up about trenches in the MC series. Most of us have been in the military but how many have actually used a trench line in modern times, today its fire and move from Improved Positions, if you stayed in one spot to long you were dead, trench or no trench. We even thought about removing trenches but of course we cant all we can do ir reduce the modifier but i think Mark had the right words for it so im just going to paste up what he wrote. My opinion in the end is it might be ok for WWII but in the modern era i wouldnt add bunkers to MC.

Aaron

Been thinking on Trenches and Cover for a while. If your'e on a wooded hill in a Trench incoming fire is reduced by 80% ( -10 for elevation, -30 for wood and - 40 for Trench) this is just way to extreme.

If you wanted to be radical I would eliminate Trenches all together.

Would they exist in modern warfare in Europe in the WWII sense.........I doubt it.
Would anybody have the time to construct a full blown Trench system.........I doubt it.
The whole ethos of NATO defence was Fire and Move, if you sat in the same position for too long a friendly Sov BM21 Btn would kindly remove your grid square from the map !
NATO would construct prepared fire positions (which in game terms would be Improved Positions) Fire, then move back to the next position. These positions would often just be a quick scrape with a Dozer blade for Afv's...................not a Trench as it is mean't to be in the game with a 40% reduction in all incoming fire including Artillery !
Can you see the Sovs getting out of their BMP's getting their spades out and starting to dig a Trench......................or for that matter a Warrior, Bradley or Marder Btn....I doubt it.

It would eliminate some of the static "Trench Warfare" that occurs. I know as the NATO Player that if I dig in a B Class unit in a wood for instance I'm almost immune from damage. I just sit tight soak up all incoming and blat away with not a care in the world. Absolutely no thought of Fire and Move....................not really realistic me thinks.

Most of my WWIII training was done in Norway. Slightly different due to the impassability of large parts of the Country and the minor Road Network. But the ethos was the same.........we were taught to Hit and Run.....................never liked the word Run as Commandos never Run except into a fight or the Bar ! If we stayed still we would get Mullah'd......so we would make small "Improved Positions" Hit the enemy then move on to another pre-recced position. I did a small stint with 7 Amd Bde in their Int Cell for an Excercise in Northern Germany.....................and they operated exactly the same except they were all mechanised.

Im waffling on a bit now but the defence values of terrain and the positions you can build definately needs reducing.

Mark
Rangers Lead the Way
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Discussion thread for possible new bunker creation rule. - by Aaron - 01-12-2010, 08:16 AM