• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence
07-23-2009, 07:58 AM, (This post was last modified: 07-23-2009, 08:00 AM by PincerDK.)
c_Question Mark  Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence
Hello everybody!

Some things I had been wondering about?

In FM-100-2-1 under the reconnaissance chapter, the manual mentions Reconnaissance Detachments, Reconnaissance groups and Separate Reconnaissance Patrols?

Apparently they are temporary tactical units, conducting reconnaissance (surprise? :rolleyes: ) and ambushes, for either the regiment or the division they belong to.

The manual mention that the different units are of different sizes:

A Separate Reconnaissance Patrol is a reinforced MR platoon sized force.
A Reconnaissance group is a reinforced MR platoon or MR company sized force.
A Reconnaissance detachment is a reinforced MR company or MR battalion sized force.

my question is since it is recon, shouldn't it only be the recon coy or the recon battalion that can form those units? and why do they then mention the different units as motorized rifle? I haven't heard anything of motorized rifle troops forming these units, to conduct recon.

Recently I also posted on Volcano Man's forum, asking another question about soviet organisation? but since he was the only one on that forum, who was able to answer some of my questions, I guess it would be better trying this forum?

"hello everybody!

I have a couple of questions regarding Soviet organisation in Danube Front 85' (Which by the way, is a truly enjoyable game ) and I hope some of you could try and answer my questions.

1. First of all, why are there 32 units in the ADA Regiment? I know that in a SA-15 regiment, there are 16 SA-15 TLAR's (the only SAM I know that could match the numbers in Danube) where does the extra 16 TLARS come from? And according to wikipedia the SA-15 was first put into production in 1986, which probably is too late if Danube Front starts during 1986.

2. if it isn't a SA-15 regiment, shouldn't it instead be a SA-6/SA-8 regiment with 20 TEL/TELARS for the whole regiment?

3. In the 303rd High Power Arty (GSFG Forces) 2 2S7 battalions and 2 240 mm mortar (Probably 2S4 Tyulpan) battalion's exists.
One of these 2S7/2S4 Battalions in the game is equipped with 24 pieces.
according to FM-100-60 a battalion of these should only be equipped with 12 pieces? where does the extra 12 come from?

I know that these are probably only estimations but if someone has an idea or a reason why the extra units are there please! fill me in!"
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Soviet reconnaissance, artillery, and Air defence - by PincerDK - 07-23-2009, 07:58 AM