• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
06-03-2009, 08:02 PM,
RE: Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out.
Dan Caviness Wrote:Here's the deal. The map is constructed (Scale by the way) from two main sources. The first is a beautiful 2008 Phil Schwartzberg period map covering the entire area of the encirclement of Aachen. During the exact time of October 7 -20, 1944.
It's scale and my map's are 1:1 congruity. 30 km east west by 40 km north south.
I can supply you with references on request but since he owns Meridian Mapping and creates military maps for WWII History Magazine he may not really care how you view his work.

The second map source is from Osprey Publishing, "The Siegfried Line 1944-45, Battles on the German Frontier." I find Osprey a very valuable resource and their work in general is very detailed.
Steve Noon draws a lot of their maps.
I'll be sure to let Steve know your thoughts.

I then decided to take a tip from you, and downloaded the present day Google Earth which I attempted to overlay as you do. I eventually printed and scaled it to help with the overall topography.

Nice tip, I appreciate it.

Your sources are the problem. Maps in literature often give simplified views, which is good for readers to help understand what was going on without getting distracted by map details, but not for scenario makers who like to build the terrain as it really was. Personally I don't care what Phil Schwartzberg thinks (probably that I am right anyway), I just looked at your game map and I see there is a lot to be desired. Everybody who knows the terrain around Aachen somewhat or who has a topomap can see that. From what I read in earlier posts, and looking at the oob of the scn I thought you would be someone who would go a long way to get it right. I think you will with the map as well.... eventually.

This is what you need.

[Image: 2009_0603bouwverslag0003.jpg]

Let me know if you need a high resolution scan.

This is also useful:

http://greif.uni-greifswald.de/geogreif/...tNumber=52

Huib
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Aachen west wall anyone want to try it out. - by Huib Versloot - 06-03-2009, 08:02 PM