• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Another suggestion for a game engine ammendment
12-04-2008, 11:21 AM,
Another suggestion for a game engine ammendment
I recently encountered a situation where a hex stacking limit prevented units from retreating after being assaulted and led to something like 75% losses for them in a single turn. I don't know the exact amount but a 1km hex has to have something like a MILLION square meters in it, that is more than enough space to displace if hard pressed, it seems absurd to me that in an emergency soldiers would choose to surrender en masse rather than bunch up a bit to escape capture. Now, in most situations, hex stacking limits are appropriate, especially to represent traffic jams on roads, etc...but in this case to suggest that the hex is FULL and impenetrable with men standing shoulder-to-shoulder hoplite phalanx style seems a bit much. Would it be possible to consider waiving hex stacking limits in cases of retreats? It would even be appropriate to displace the most mobile units in the destination hex, possibly even disrupting them to represent the chaos of intermingled units...but anything is better than losing entire bns because the engine says they cannot retreat through a line of friendly foxholes because they just happen to be ocuppied.

Is this the right place to post this? Do the designers read this forum?

J
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Another suggestion for a game engine ammendment - by consume - 12-04-2008, 11:21 AM