• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side
08-15-2008, 10:40 PM,
Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side
Unfortunately I cannot devote too much time to my AAR for Forge of Freedom, but what I will try and do is give some insight into my thinking as the North. I am hoping that Peter will be giving details of the game's workings for people not familiar with the game, what I will do is give some thoughts on my strategy.

Firstly, this is my first Advanced game of Forge, and my first PBEM, so my strategy to some extent is being made up on a hoof at first as I get to grips with the game engine. The game looks at first quite intimidating, but a couple of turns in, and I am becoming more familiar with the workings and how to find things. The interface is actually quite intuitive as you progress.

One of the biggest problems for a new player like myself at first is sorting through my armed forces ad trying to organise them. Also creating Corps and Division containers takes quite a lot of the early turns to give my forces some structure.

It's now early August 1861, the scenario 'Coming Fury' started in July with my Army of the Potomac (as I've chosen to call them) in Fredricksburg opposing the Army of North Virginia. Whilst extricating them to Maryland there was the only battle of the game so far where I lost around 5000 men to my opponent's (Peter) 3000.

The CSA are at present beseiging Pensacola and it will fall eventually. In the first couple of turns some of my troops have been lost to disease, so I'm trying to train hospital attributes for some units to keep this to a minimum.

My over strategy is to build up naval forces to effectively enforce a blockade and use muster in the first few turns to produce infantry brigades. I will try and use the double attribute trick to produce some artillery and cavalry units, as it's cheaper than producing them from states. I plan to make some cavalry divisions and corps, and have artillery attached to each of my divisions to see what effect this has. Corps and Armies will also have cavalry brigades attached to improve scouting.

I also plan to arm my troops well and may not go down the road of mass producing loads of troops who are poorly armed. I aim to have a small well-armed army - try and max out Sharpshooter ability for some troops to see if I can pick off enemy generals. The south has a clear advantage with quality of troops and generals at the start.

I doubt Peter will look to start any major offensives before winter, but who knows. Hence the hurry to arm my troops. One worry is that if I lose a battle, which I will unless I have overwhelming odds, is that my troops will drop their arms and the enemy gets them! Happened after Fredricksburg to some of my units, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

So 1861 July to April strategy, build up naval forces and technologies, and assemble a well-epuiped fairly small army in the easty and a small well-epuipped army in the west. Kentucky came over to the Union in the 1st turn, a good bit of luck, and I may try a push towards Memphis before winter, but at the moment I'm simply trying to organize my forces. This includes bringing down the garrisons from the north to make up inferior divisions which can hold the line further south. If nothing else they will give the impression of numbers to Peter.

As I do not have good intel/scouting forces at present, on turn 2 I saw an army of 200,000 men at Memphis, but I know there cannot be that many men in the west, or anywhere in the CSA, so it shows how poor my intel is at the moment.

More from the North to come, sorry for the lack of screenshots, if I get time I'll try and post a couple from time to time.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-15-2008, 10:40 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by Steel God - 08-16-2008, 01:19 AM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-16-2008, 04:15 AM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-18-2008, 06:46 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-19-2008, 10:25 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-20-2008, 10:29 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-22-2008, 11:05 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-24-2008, 09:20 PM
RE: Inaugural FoF AAR - Union side - by cillmhor - 08-28-2008, 09:44 PM