Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
05-14-2008, 03:58 PM,
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1
Russian turn 2.
08:00 AM July 9, 1941
Normal Conditions
Visibility 4km.

[Image: RT2VP.jpg]
Victory points after the Russian turn two.

German movements suggest a direct assault on Mogilev. Only two Russian infantry units were released from fixed status by careful German moves. This is despite two armored cars and other German units which came into view during the turn. Fixed status is only changed by viewing enemy units at the end of a turn. Thus the entire 10th motorized division could parade up the main road from the south to be spotted in hex (17,37) without releasing any of the Russian units along the river as long as the Germans end their turn out of sight.
In the turn two graphic I have circled where the Germans appear to have moved to concentrate for a direct assault on Mogilev. The Russian artillery in range of these areas will discontinue digging in and be prepared to fire in turn three. I will hold my fire to prevent artillery from going unavailable in the next turn. I hope thus to concentrate the Russian artillery fire in turn three to slow the German attack.
There is an advantage to this plan of attack for the Germans.
• They will have three victory point hexes along their path to exit on the southern most exit victory point hex.
• Three of the four Russian infantry divisions will be out of the battle until the second day as they are fixed far from where the attack will be made.
• Dense terrain combined with careful placements along a narrow axis will allow the Germans to release a minimum of Russian troops to cope with the attack until the general release of 13th Army.
There is an excellent two hex wide area to cross the Dnepr along the route illustrated. This is a good choice because the Russians have very few troops along the indicated route to delay the advance. I hope the 10th motorized is in the southern concentration area and not further north to assist the 10th panzer.

To counter this move, I will need to take as many troops as I can and get them intact across the river to delay the Germans. If I can prevent a breakout, then my slower infantry will be able to move to block the exit hexes. The Germans can only win by exiting. I would think the 10th panzer and 10th motorized divisions would form a corridor and exit the full victory point total of the SS regiment to win. The SS regiment enters too late to be able to change the battle outcome, so stopping the first day German troops from creating a route to the exit hexes will be the key to winning.

[Image: DotDsouthRT2.jpg]

Dog Soldier
Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
- Wyatt Earp
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Dog Fight - Ostkreig Tournament Round 1 - by Dog Soldier - 05-14-2008, 03:58 PM