• Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Airmobile units in MC
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM,
Airmobile units in MC
Hi,

I'm playing the Bolt out of the blue scenario (taz's scenario) from North German Plain, and i have a question regarding airmobile units (not helicopters).

We are on turn 27, and the NATO opponent (and myself to a lesser extent), have been using airmobile units in T mode to block roads and generally screen land units. The rules state that you can assault those T mode units, but all that does is give the T mode unit a defensive fire as well as burning up the assaulter's movement points, for no loss to the airmobile unit though it gets pushed back. I actually have had a t-80 tank battalion of 30 tanks assault a company of T mode paratroopers of XX strength (10-99 men) to get them out of the way. The T mode unit defensive fired and disrupted my unit, which bottlenecked the road for the rest of the division coming up. Unfortunately, the game engine has designed airmobile units in such a way that airmobile units in T mode are much harder to hit then if they were on the ground. So players obviously will keep their paratroopers hovering all day where they are safer rather then landing them and exposing them to artillery fire.

So my question to everyone here is:

1. Is this a historical use of airmobile units? To keep them in the air as long as possible because it's safer then being on the ground.

2. I know that the Danube Front game made some modifications to the helicopter rules. Does this force players to use both airmobile and helicopter units more realistically?

This also applies to helicopters, but to a lesser extent. I can visualize Apache's flitting around the battlefield shooting things up, but transport copters carrying infantry is another thing.

Any response is appreciated.

P.S. Feel free to post a photo of a dead horse, if this has already been discussed in another thread.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Airmobile units in MC - by Mafooo - 05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Glenn Saunders - 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Elxaime - 05-02-2008, 11:23 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Glenn Saunders - 05-02-2008, 11:49 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Aaron - 05-03-2008, 02:15 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Tbird3 - 05-03-2008, 03:23 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by HirooOnoda - 05-03-2008, 04:34 AM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by CptCav - 05-03-2008, 02:35 PM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Glenn Saunders - 05-03-2008, 04:52 PM
RE: Airmobile units in MC - by Mike Bowen - 05-03-2008, 08:45 PM