• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Advice on Tactics for McNamara Values
06-10-2007, 06:03 AM,
Advice on Tactics for McNamara Values
Trying out one of Volcano Man's alternative scenarios for K43 using the McNamara values, and I am interested in advice.

Having played K43 a number of times as Soviets, I am used to high Soviet casualties. I am also playing carefully, fighting from entrenchments and bunkers where at all possible and not exposing units. We are also using all the recommended optionals.

However, the Soviet losses have been astounding, far more than before in a scenario where the Soviets (unlike historically) tended to get soundly beaten anyway under the PzC system. Using the new McNamara values, German armor is now vulnerable only to AT guns, of which the Soviets have fewer than the Germans have tanks and these are easily overrun or wiped out by German air or artillery . Supposedly, Soviet infantry assault on German tanks advancing without infantry is supposed to be a threat, but I have yet to see that since the German tank stacks are so large and any Soviet infantry that gets close are now taking 40-50 casualties per shot. German mechanized infantry are now also killing entire Soviet divisions with 20-30 kills per shot. Soviet units that resisted for days in the real campaign are melting away during the first day. Soviet armor also now seems largely ineffective, since even the run of the mill German armor kills from 2 kilometers away with the frequency of an M1A1 Abrams, not to mention Tigers killshots from 3-4 hexes. And this is against hull-down Soviet tanks in trenches. Given they have "C" and "D" quality to begin with and a 3 percent recovery rate, there is little chance Soviet tank numbers will recover.

I am thinking I must be completely misunderstanding the new system. Has anyone else played the alt K43 yet? Any advice on Soviet tactics?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Advice on Tactics for McNamara Values - by Elxaime - 06-10-2007, 06:03 AM