• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

M41, Patience is the key
08-14-2006, 07:41 AM,
M41, Patience is the key
After 48 turns as the Axis player in the M41 No Crete Max German effort scenario, I have found that a good strategy is to be patient and not try to do too much too soon. Although it is possible to land the 7th Flieger Division on turn one, I decided to wait until my land forces were in position to launch a ground attack to support their landing. This took two full days. But when, I dropped the division behind Tula, I caught my opponent by surprise. And, with the PzAOK 2 up and ready to make a strong push to the East of Tula, a link up with the 7th Flieger was achieved relatively easily. Then, with the Russians occupied with my advance to the east of Tula, I crossed over the Upa River to the West of Tula, and enveloped the 50th Army. Most of this was done in bad weather, including a storm, and forward progress was slow going. Casualties were high for both sides. But becuase the 50th Army was basically destroyed, the Germans came out on top. Now, with Tula captured, and the Russian southern flank crushed, the Russians have apparantly decided to fall back to the North, most likely behind the Oka River, with PzAOK 2 in pursuit.
Now besides this action, both sides have punched and counter punched at several points along the line to the North, with the most heated action happening around Kalinin. At this point, it appears the Russians will get the better of me there and will be able to capture the city. Temperarily washing out some of the gains made at Tula. However I still hold a substantial lead and in a 400 turn scenario, I expect real estate is going to change hands many times.
My impression of M41, is that a player who is paitient, plans well coordinated attacks and is able to wait for reinforcements to make the long slow journey to the front before making his move, will be rewarded.
Of course, we all know that time is against the Axis player, but it was my take from the begining, that pushing tired and depleted units to fast, would be disasterous. So far, things are working out well for me. I'm wondering if others have found the opposite to also be true?
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
M41, Patience is the key - by Grrr - 08-14-2006, 07:41 AM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Sgt Fury - 08-14-2006, 08:47 AM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Dog Soldier - 08-14-2006, 03:25 PM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by HirooOnoda - 08-16-2006, 07:17 AM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Elxaime - 08-16-2006, 09:47 AM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Jazman - 08-16-2006, 01:59 PM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Volcano Man - 08-16-2006, 04:13 PM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Ricky B - 08-16-2006, 11:01 PM
RE: M41, Patience is the key - by Volcano Man - 08-17-2006, 03:07 AM