• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Infrequently and never used features in SB?
12-29-2021, 11:09 PM, (This post was last modified: 12-29-2021, 11:20 PM by Xerxes77.)
RE: Infrequently and never used features in SB?
(12-29-2021, 09:12 PM)Embis Wrote: In the Squad battles manual that there are several SB features which, to my knowledge, don't seem to have been implemented in any, or many, of the SB games these are:

1. Weapons that use timers
2. Stun Weapons
3. Trains
4. Remote Control vehicles
5. Civilians
6. Hidden, Escape, Cache and hiding objectives
7. Bridge demolition
8. Detection devices (dogs, trip flares)

Is anyone aware of which title, or titles, make use of any of these features? I have a suspicion that although some are present in some games in the series, none are present in all the games and some might not even be present in ANY of the games.

(Snip)

Hi Embis,
totally agree with your assessment. There's such a wide variety of tools, it wouldn't surprise me to see some are underused.

That said given the knowledge I've picked up on the series I'd be surprised if most of these features aren't indeed available in most or all of the titles. They just may or may not be accessible depending on the game. Example: you can define Civilians for Red Victory even if the editor won't show you the option, and they will behave correctly (you can see there's even an entry for "captures" in the Victory Dialog).

Regarding the more sophisticated equipment, it may be that it is more prevalent in the post-WW2 games? A few months ago I helped a user in this board to find the missing sounds for a dog, I believe he was using the Afghan war title. Pacific War does include a dog (K-9) with the detection attribute which is apparently used by a "Dog Team" in the campaign.

I don't see a reason why we couldn't have trains, bridge-blowing or timer-based weapons in Red Victory, Pacific War or Grenada though. As you say, they're simply not used. In RV we do have a small assortment of detection devices in the form of IR weapons, etc. Dogs and flares shouldn't be difficult to implement.

But the one flag that really intrigues me is "Beam". This applies to Loads and it's not documented anywhere as far as I can tell. Maybe there's built-in support for a Star Trek mod? Big Grin2
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Infrequently and never used features in SB? - by Xerxes77 - 12-29-2021, 11:09 PM