• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

1776 - Does the game feel right to you?
08-17-2021, 12:01 AM,
1776 - Does the game feel right to you?
Playing my first battle of 1776 - we went with Bunker Hill (the a version which is the historical one).  The combat seems particularly (and unrealistically) bloody to me.  For context, we're at the mid-way point (turn 12 complete) and it has been conducted essentially along historical lines.  The Colonials have stayed on their hills behind their embankments and fences, while the British have advanced both directly against Breeds Hill and along the northern coast road.  Little to no melee combat has occurred, this has been very much a line up and shoot at each other affair so far.  Through the end of 12 turns the Colonials have suffered slightly less than 1300 casualties and the British have suffered slightly more than 900.  To begin with I would think the attacker would suffer higher losses than the defender (in most games that is so).  The rate of loss for the British seems to be on a path for being slightly higher than historical (call it 125% for argument), but the Colonials seem to be on a path for 250% of historical.

I think that if Colonial Era combat had 100 men dropping every 5 minutes the battles would have been much more decisive than they were, so my question is:  "Is what we're seeing typical"?  If other people don't experience these type of fire results then I'll have to conclude that perhaps one or some combination of the optional rules we selected could be contributing.  I appreciate any input anyone might have who has some experience with the game.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
1776 - Does the game feel right to you? - by Steel God - 08-17-2021, 12:01 AM