• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Modern Campaigns: noob query re. turn delta
02-04-2021, 12:38 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-04-2021, 12:44 AM by phoenix.)
RE: Modern Campaigns: noob query re. turn delta
Also, the 3 hour day turns are peculiar to the MC series. In the Panzer Campaign series the day turns last 2 hours. I think the idea was to give a feeling of greater pace, to reflect the faster equipment/mobility/mechanization and so on. All other things being equal, I guess things will look to be moving faster if each turn is longer, though I think myself that 2 hours is easily enough to get the balance right in an I-go-you-go game and the extra modern speed would presumably have been manifest anyway due to increased movement allowances. If anything - with detection ability somewhat increased on the modern battlefield - it might have been better to go down to 1 hour per turn instead of up to 3, because in these turn-based games you're always fighting the somewhat ludicrous results of only allowing spotting during the turn to show up at the start of your next turn (or during the opponent's turn, in fact). But 1 hour per turn for very large battles would have taken too long for gaming enjoyment purposes, perhaps. It's all a trade-off. The largest battle I know of in the PC series is the Normandy campaign, at over 600 moves. At 1 hour a day that would have been well over a thousand moves! As it is, it's hard to find time to complete the larger campaigns, I think. If you want to try the Bolt out of the Blue campaign in Danube Front, for example, it would take you over half a year or so if you could manage to fit in a move a day...
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Modern Campaigns: noob query re. turn delta - by phoenix - 02-04-2021, 12:38 AM