• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings
08-03-2020, 03:35 AM,
RE: FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings
Paul, it has been awhile since I have played the F'14 stuff, and the latest there was campaign level. However, my take at the campaign level - doesn't apply necessarily in short scenarios - is the French/Allies have to give ground until it is time to counterattack. So as you noted, standing toe to toe and trying to hold ground will drive up losses and destroy units. And that is historically how things happened overall.

Now tactically, the French 75s are the equalizer. But you have to find good positions for them, as they will generally die quickly in the front lines, until the Germans get worn down a bit. So finding a ridge and fighting a front slope defense is key - have the 75s on the ridge with a view of at least 2 hexes in front, and deploy supporting infantry in the hex to their front and sides. If you can find a ridge allowing a chain of this, they can chew up the Germans as they move up to disrupt and push the infantry out of the way. Then if the infantry does get pushed back, the artillery retreats - meaning keep a viable retreat route or the artillery will be trapped in woods, for example.

If you can do this for a bit, the Germans are ripe for a counterattack as they move up - then the infantry can assault, the German MGs aren't deployed yet, the artillery hits the second line Germans after the assaults where possible and the infantry falls back in front of the guns again.

That is what seems to work best from my memory.

Rick
[Image: exercise.png]
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: FWWC France 14 Musing and Wonderings - by Ricky B - 08-03-2020, 03:35 AM