• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Enfilade (and routing in general...) [Napoleonic Battles]
07-29-2020, 04:41 PM, (This post was last modified: 07-29-2020, 05:03 PM by Mowgli.)
RE: Enfilade (and routing in general...) [Napoleonic Battles]
(07-24-2020, 05:05 AM)agmoss99 Wrote:
(07-24-2020, 05:02 AM)The_General Wrote:
(07-21-2020, 03:56 PM)Mowgli Wrote: Do you know if units in skirmish formation can cause the -2 morale penalty if they enfilade an opponent? As mentioned above, it seems as if skirmishers do NOT benefit from the *1.2 firepower bonus for enfilading opponents, so my suspicion is that they don't cause the -2 morale malus either?

I think they do not.

I'm not even sure whether the -2 morale malus for being enfiladed works at all. 

I just had a few units enfilade-fire on a unit of quality C, disordered, no leader, flanks not secure.
At the start of its turn, the target unit was forced to undergo a morale test (the casualties versus size-"stress test" failed). 
To my surprise, the unit passed its morale test. 
According to the manual, this should not be possible: 

base unit quality C - 1 disordered - 2 enfiladed = quality F
quality F = 0% chance to pass

One explanation would be that the enfilade malus on morale is smaller than what the manual says.

The second explanation would be that the "enfilade" modifier is only valid in morale tests caused by opportunity fire (to determine whether a unit gets disordered), not in morale tests at the start of the turn (to determine whether a unit routs). If this was true, enfilade fire would have a higher chance to disrupt advancing units, but not a higher chance to rout them (at least not directly, only indirectly via increased casualties from the +20% bonus that non-skirmishers get on their fire value). I guess there would be a good reason for this, namely to preven the cheesy tactic of taking an "enfilade-potshot" which causes hardly any casualties, just in order to get the -2 morale malus on the enemy. If the malus is only valid in "opportunity fire"-morale tests, then the morale test is only triggered if significant casualties are caused by the very same fire action. A ineffective "potshot" will not cause a morale test and not profit from the -2 morale modifier.

The third explanation would be that the malus doesn't exist at all.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Enfilade (and routing in general...) [Napoleonic Battles] - by Mowgli - 07-29-2020, 04:41 PM