• Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
06-03-2020, 08:54 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-03-2020, 09:31 AM by -72-. Edit Reason: ...must have hit post too soon :) )
RE: Changes planned for Napoleonic titles.
(06-02-2020, 05:20 PM)LarkinVB Wrote: I don't quite understand what the battlefield impact of uniforms has to do with me preferring the aesthetics of bigger 3D figures? Btw we play 25mm miniature games ;-)

Yes, sure 25 mm and the immersion/charm factor is not an uncommon thing to say -it is why those scales get played, I was only mentioning the other with regards to what a similar sentiment is with smaller scales and what the argument for using them is. All I am saying is that if a smaller size would be used -- that would be why.

----

Christian -if you are serious about providing feedback on that, the most effective avenue to do that would be to either talk to Bill Peters, the Support email, or Mr Freer, directly.

To me the units look identical to what was used in Wellington's Peninsular War. I think you were talking about highlighting maybe? Yeh sure there is no reason that you can't use that -the only qualifier that I found is that sometimes a lighter shade of highlighting does not work with a lighter shade of unit - so yellow didn't seem to work so well on white, and red didn't work so well on ... well ... red. Green not so well on green - so when I was doing similar work I had a couple of set styles (and I tried to keep it limited to 2 within a set of units ... plus I am working with 15 different sides --- so with the smaller number of nations being used in NB - in theory, it should be that much easier to do what you were pointing out.

I can see where the new style of unit highlighting can potentially change the dimensions of unit counters - as they should match the height of the highlighting ... that never was a factor before- it was only about maybe trying to center what shows up on the counter when toggled on. To me it wasn't a big deal before although the limited palette that was used when they were first designed was not always ideal --- sometimes they were too dark to see the unit symbol (talking about PzC ) or sometimes too fluorescent (magenta, and I think the green) --- I imagine these could be toned down in the engine coding (you cannot mod them) - by the programmer choosing a different hexidecimal code... to be fair there weren't as many available back when it would have been initially coded so it might not be an easy fix --- sort of a moot point because it isn't something that the end user can change themselves.

The biggest change- and this impacts modders especially - is that the 2D will have a double size file from what is currently in the games - so you will have more unit to design a symbol to. For me that means that mostly filling a counter with a unit symbol right now might be a waste - in the sense that if the idea then is - simply expand that to double the size - ok -you will have a really big symbol -and that sort of is a waste of the extra room to design something --- otoh - well that is the purpose of mods.

I don't have any answers about what JTS will do - but I do know what can be -- with that larger set -you could actually put an image on to the unit -although in my mind it also has to demonstrate formation (line, square, column) - and facing. I have a leader mock up done as a draft for my own project -and if I have some time I might see if I had gotten some art done that looks more appropriate for REN - and apply the same technique -- it would give an idea of what is going to be possible... and that is really where things get interesting. :)

------

Oskar- your files won't work when the new updates come out; you will also have to adapt them to the extra symbols being added otherwise there will be a lot of blank units coming out. Plus you will want to put together a file called 2DSymbolsMag.bmp that is double the dimensions of 2DSymbols100.bmp (Tiller was already using that naming convention in his EAW series ... and if doing the the other 2D the naming convention goes *50.bmp,*100.bmp, *200.bmp as opposed to changing them all to *25.bmp, *50.bmp, & *100.bmp).

Just be prepared to do some extra work is all :)
Send this user an email
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Changes planned for Napoleonic titles. - by -72- - 06-03-2020, 08:54 AM