• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Most Underrated JTS Series! Modern Campaigns!
05-16-2020, 12:39 AM, (This post was last modified: 05-16-2020, 12:46 AM by Elxaime.)
RE: Most Underrated JTS Series! Modern Campaigns!
OK, just checked D85 Gold and the FARPs are still there, for both vanilla and alt scenarios. I think it is only Volcano Man's Bolt from the Blue that doesn't use them, as he relies on stronger AA and SAM to limit wild roaming. If I recall one older campaign game, it was a mod that had many Warsaw Pact units with limited to no anti-air, so you had stacks of helicopters devastating whole divisions, heh - the designer must have been a former attack helicopter pilot. I also remember the old days when people used to use helicopters to surround and block retreats, block advances by planting them on roads, etc.

One aspect I have wondered about is why NATO seems to have comparatively less anti-air defenses, including to defend against Pact helicopters. I have always assumed this was because NATO doctrine assumed eventual air superiority, meaning Warsaw Pact helicopters would increasingly face an air-to-air threat. I assume NATO helicopters would also face some kind of air-air threat as well, even if just from obsolete enemy combat aircraft.

My own two cents is that it is highly likely an intense war like this would create a zone of denial for helicopters as they are just too vulnerable even to infantry weapons like HMG. It has always stuck in my craw that helicopters were able to roam so much without consequence.

Do the FARPS do the trick of making helicopter operations more realistic? Or do people prefer the Bolt from the Blue approach (no FARP, better AA and SAM)?
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Most Underrated JTS Series! Modern Campaigns! - by Elxaime - 05-16-2020, 12:39 AM