• Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

Operation Herkules_Alt scenario - Please remove from game database
07-10-2019, 01:15 PM,
RE: Operation Herkules_Alt scenario - Please remove from game database
The 'Volcano Man' comments make it clear to me that I do not understand the assault calculation process and would really like some clarification on how it all works.

I always thought assault resolution was based on two separate combat results. The assaulting unit attacks with its Assault value against the Defense value of the defender. And the defender attacks with its Assault value against the assaulting units Defense value. Unless you are using the Alternative Assault Resolution (AAR), it is not relevant if any of the units are Hard or Soft.

If using AAR then the assaulting unit attacks with its Assault value or Hard attack value  (depending on whether the target is Soft or Hard) against the Defense value of the defender. And the defender attacks using its Assault value or Hard attack value (depending on whether the target is Soft or Hard) against the assaulting units defense value.  

If this is correct, then the defense values do not vary when using AAR but the attack values can. So if a unit has a much higher Assault value compared to their Hard attack value then they will be much less effective against Hard targets using AAR. In the scenario in question, an Italian Para unit has Hard attack of 1 and Assault value of 14. A German FJ unit has Hard attack 2 and Assault value of 12. A British Inf unit in a Bunker has a Defense value of 26. This would mean that using AAR would drastically increase the difficulty of assaulting Bunkers but the Volcano Man post states that unless using AAR "assaulting bunkers with infantry is nearly impossible". The opposite to what I would expect.

Obviously I have got something completely wrong but it would be great if someone could explain how assaults are actually handled.
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Operation Herkules_Alt scenario - Please remove from game database - by Green - 07-10-2019, 01:15 PM