• Blitz Shadow Player
  • Caius
  • redboot
  • Rules
  • Chain of Command
  • Members
  • Supported Ladders & Games
  • Downloads

The Blitz Wargaming Club 20 years coming up!
11-25-2018, 10:51 PM,
RE: The Blitz Wargaming Club 20 years coming up!
Warning: long and rambling post and may be my subconscious attempt to answer why I'm still playing CS all these years later...

I was serving overseas at the time so must have discovered East Front in a gaming magazine and I most likely was able to pick up a copy at the local Exchange. I do know that once I learned about EF it became a priority to get it. I was with Leadeaters then came over when the Blitz started up in 99 even though my profile states I joined in Apr 30, 2000. I believe there was an update to the database and some old info didn't get ported over. How I came across Leadeaters, I have no idea.

Years back Jim Von K (haven't heard from him in ages) told me he found EF in the PX on Yongsan Garrison in Seoul. If there is a birthplace for the Blitz it is probably there. Yongsan is gone or will be gone soon but that would make it easier to build a shrine on the site. Small pagoda open 24/7 with a couple terminals to play Campaign Series. Check back on that plan when I win the lotto.

I would play for a few years and depending on my career would go on hiatus for a few years. There was also the burn out factor but I always returned to this game. Some factors or memories that keep me coming back:

The scenario designers. Every time I came back into the club there would be a ton of work done on excellent scenarios. I won't name names as there are so many that put a lot of effort into their work and don't want to leave anyone out. I appreciate all that work, especially as I have always had ideas on scenario creation but never did the hard work and put one out. Earlmann has been working on his magnum opus "V Panzer Army" for at least a decade and it may only just now be complete. Thanks to all designers for the hard work.

The work done to keep Campaign Series relevant by Jason, Petri, Mike and others. Can't wait for EF III.

A lot of friendships have developed over the years. As with all friends some we stay in touch with forever and some move on as life goes forward. Some remain friends even though we never meet in person but because of the Blitz I have been blessed to meet some great friends. Grateful to Huib and Remko for taking me to the Hartenstein airborne museum and even though it wasn't on the itinerary I was glad for the chance to see the new Arnhem bridge from the southern bank or the point of view of the Germans (always wanted to go there after seeing a Bridge Too Far).
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Blitz Wargaming Club 20 years coming up! - by Cole - 11-25-2018, 10:51 PM